• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawkens

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rollover Jack

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Greetings, all...

After reading a lot of the posts, it would appear that a majority of y'all either now own or have owned T/C Hawken rifles, in various calibers, as do I. I am wondering :hmm: if a poll could be conducted (perhaps with the help of the webmaster or moderator) as to how many are out there, what bore, how many of y'all have more than one. (Myself, I own 1-1/2.) It would seem to me that perhaps the major part of the company's production of that rifle is right here on this forum! So here goes--

Those of you that have one now, or in the past, tell us what caliber, modifications if any, target shooter or making meat and some anecdotal trivia about YOUR T/C Hawken, please.

"When you see the smoke on the wind, look for me."

My Hawken is a .50 cal.built from a kit about thirty-two plus years ago. I think it cost me a whole $91.00. I have used it for hunting, but mostly now I just use it for target shooting. It is a tack driver. I liked my Hawken so much, I went out and picked up two Patriot pistols. Best non custom shootin' irons on the market. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jack,
All but two of my M/Ls are Hawkens.The one
T/C I own is .45cal that I purchased used not
long ago. I have another .45 Hawken with a Green
Mountain barrel and I must say the T/C shoots
slightly better.Both are capable of 4"groups at
75yards if I do my part.As a hunter rather than
target shooter this is all I require.I have a
.32,.50 & .54 also, but I feel more comfortable
with the .45.
You cannot beat T/C customer service.IMHO
snake-eyes :hmm:

I have a T/C Hawken & a Renegade. I replaced the factory barrels with Green Mountain barrels.

I have a TC Hawken .50 that switches back and forth between flint and percussion, another TC Hawken with a fancy Sunday Go to meetin carved stock in .50 percussion, A TC Big Boar in Percussion with 2 barrels one in .54 and one in .58 and I dont know if this counts a .36 Seneca

i, too, have a Renegade. if it counts, i bought it used many (about twentysix) years ago, and i've always considered it one of my favorite guns.

I've traded and swapped muzzleloaders for a number of years, and have therefore had the opportunity to own literally dozens of muzzleloaders.

I have owned several Renegades (have about four now, I think), and I currently own two New Englanders.

But somehow, I have never owned a T/C Hawken. I may just grab one in flintlock one of these days.

Incidentally, I think the New Englander is about the best deal a person can get for a quality used muzzleloader these days. You can pick them up for around $130 on the auction sites pretty regular if you keep your eyes open.

:hatsoff:
Spot

I had one T/C years ago that I took in trade about 25 years ago. It was a .50 flinter. I used it a few times but didn't like the flintlock on the rifle. I had two other flinters and both were very reliable shooters. The T/C was just a pain to shoot and could never get it to go off reliably. I sold it off after a few months.

I have heard the the new locks and touch hole liners are great. I wouldn't mind trying out one of the new ones to see what the difference would be.

Mike2005 said:
I have heard the the new locks and touch hole liners are great. I wouldn't mind trying out one of the new ones to see what the difference would be.
No question, TC finally got it right...except during hunting season I basically shoot a 50 shot range session with one every Saturday year round...they are just outstanding, 100% reliable, fast, long flint life, etc. I've never bought one brand new...every one is a result of finding a used, attractive stock and refinishing it, then adding the hardware.

Some were used Flintlocks where I refinished the stocks and TC upgraded the old unreliable locks at no charge. Some were used caplocks that I bought to get a particularly pretty stock and converted them to Flintlocks, selling the caplock stuff to help finance new flint lock asms and barrels.

I've got TC flint barrels in the calibers they make, and GM barrels in the calibers TC doesn't make...for example:
.40cal GM Flint RB
.45cal TC Cap & Flint, standard and RB barrels
.50cal TC Cap & Flint, standard and RB barrels
.54cal TC Cap & Flint, standard and RB barrels
.54cal(.28ga) GM Flint smoothbore
.58cal GM Flint RB
.62cal(.20ga) GM Flint Smoothbore barrels
.62cal GM Flint smoothbore, 'rifled' by Ed Rayl

Its been the longest term, most interesting single hobby I've undertaken and stayed with in my life...I've learned a ton, and so far using these various Flintlocks I've taken a lot of deer with them, plus turkeys, squirrels, crows, shot trap & skeet targets with them, enjoying about 40 range trips a year and breaking the 10,000 shot mark a couple months ago.

TC Hawkens are a lot of muzzleloader for the money and between TC and GM, there is a wide variety of calibers and gauges to choose from, and all with outstanding lifetime warranty service.

:thumbsup:

My first ML gun a TC(82)kit .54 Hawken,killed my first deer with it,grandson has it. Have a 50 cap and flint Hawken now. Killed 7 deer with the flinter.It was a kit that I bought from a fellow worker in 80's for 75.00. Also have a Seneca.45 and .36 barrel for it. Dilly

Hawken with .58 GM RB BBL
Hawken with .62 GM smooth rifle BBL
Renegade with .62 Long Hammock BBL
Renegade with .58 GM RB BBL
Renegade with .58 TC BBL

All caplock

I've owned several over the years, and currently have a 54 Hawken, and a Renegade 50, with a drop in 62cal smoothbore from GM."Both Great Rifles".

I have a Hawken I rescued from Ebay, refinished, and put a .54 GM 1:70 barrel on it with Lyman 57 peep sight. It's a tack driver.

HD

I have a T/C Hawken that I bought in a Pawn Shop when I got into Muzzleloading in 2003. I payed $100.00 Out The Door. I refinished the stock and cleaned up the bore (it has some pits in it) and it shoots better than I can hold it. It is a 1992/1995 model. It does not have the clean out screw in the snell and it does not have the AQL in the muzzle.

100_0150.jpg
[/img]

Robert

I've been shooting black powder for almost 30 years. Always been a .54 GPR fan. After being with this forum for a while and reading a lot of posts from people like Roundball, I just had to give it a go. I found a used .54 T/C Hawkens percussion on one of the auction sites and got it for about $200. I've only had a chance to try it out with .54 cal. 380 grain Lee REAL bullets, so far. But, boy will it shoot! That T/C will plant those REAL bullets where you want them out to 100 yards. I think it will be a great pig gun :thumbsup: .

I bought a .50 kit in 1978 and it was a very good shooter. Sold it since I moved into building my own rifles and moved more to flintlocks. This is my brother in law's TC I redid for him.
MaxTCright.jpg

reddogge said:
I bought a .50 kit in 1978 and it was a very good shooter. Sold it since I moved into building my own rifles and moved more to flintlocks. This is my brother in law's TC I redid for him.
MaxTCright.jpg
Very Nice!!!!!.Ray

I have had two .50 cal kit TC Hawkens assembled by others that I purchased used for $100 each, both shot well and were top quality, I drifted farther back in time and they were sold to finance other guns.My father has one he bought probably the first year they came out I think the serial # is in the 79,000's My cousin and a friend each bought one at the same time, all these were used for hunting and trail walks and on a several occasions we all hunted together with or "Hawkens" it's been some years ago, this is the thing memories are made of, I can still recall the four Hawkens leaning against a log at camp during lunch or when settling in for the night.

My kids got me a .54 percussion, 1:48 twist barrel, TC kit around 1993 or '94 for Christmas. I have used it for deer hunting, and have killed several, but do not know the exact count.

I did nothing fancy with it, just followed the instructions. I have it sighted in for 100 yards, and it is right on the mark. 85 grains of Goex 2f is the gun's favorite load, with a TC Maxi Hunter bullet. It shoots round balls equally well, but I need to aim about 1/2 inch higher.

Outdoorman

Back