• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Lock upgrade.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ace-Man

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Dixie has a lock that replaces the T/C lock. Has anyone tried this? It's a 150.00

TC locks are pretty decent locks. IMHO, Knowing L&R,I doubt that it would be a better quality lock without lots of tuning.

If your existing lock is malfuctioning,
TC will replace it under their lifetime warrantee.
J.D.

I have nothing to compare this lock too. This is my first flint. I own a number of percussion rifles. The L&R locks have bearing surfaces and the strokes are shorter. I've heard.

Save yourself some money & disappointment. If the lock is a old style T/C lock have T/C upgrade it (free) and also install a new T/C vent liner & the rifle will perform quite well. The rest is just learning flintlocks & their quirks in general.

:thumbsup:

I have several T/C guns with their original locks and one with the L&R RPL lock.

My experience with the L&R has been good, but to be honest I can't say I notice $150 worth of difference...

Spot

I HAVE THE NEW IMPROVED HAMMER FROM T/C AND CHANGE OUT THERE FRIZZEN TO A LYMAN ADD THE NEW VENT LINER AND YOUR SET TO GO.
ALL 3 LOCKS ARE SET UP THE SAME WAY AND HAVE NO PROMLEMS :hatsoff:

Ace-Man said:
I have nothing to compare this lock too. This is my first flint. I own a number of percussion rifles. The L&R locks have bearing surfaces and the strokes are shorter. I've heard.

I haven't seen the inside of a TC lock, but they seem to work pretty well. Since it has been awhile since I have seen the inside of an L&R lock, I don't remember if the smaller bearing surfaces on the tumbler are polished as they come from the factory,or not. Most L&R parts have an "as cast" surface finish. Addmittedly the as cast finish is good, but still not polished.

Short throws translate to somewhat faster locks. Probably not fast enough that you can tell a difference. The difference will probably be in miliseconds. IMHO, not $150 worth of time difference.

Short throws also translate to less intertia striking the frizzen. That can mean fewer,less intense sparks. Everything is a trade off. Is a few millliseconds of speed, while potentially sacrificing some intensity of sparks worth $150.00?

In the world of custom gunbuilding, L&R locks have a reputation of being second rate. Not necessarily bad locks, but not as good as some other production locks. If I were to spend $150 on a new lock, it would be one of the better quality locks. Unfortunately, those better quality lock makers don't make drop in replacement locks.
J.D.

Same as Birddog6...TC's work to redesign and improve their flint locks left nothing overlooked...they are outstsanding as are their redesigned / improved vent liners.

To those improvements, add 3/4" Tom Fuller black english flints, Goex 4f prime, Goex 3F main...and performance wants for nothing...very fast, 100% reliable, long flint life.

I've been using a few of them a lot for 6-7 years now and haven't seen a thing that was overlooked to be improved on.

:thumbsup:

OLD STYLE TC FLINT LOCK ASSEMBLY...note severe "S" shape to hammer, and the "notch" in the back edge of the hammer right above the hammer mounting screw...also, the hammer is quite short with the bottom jaw just barely clearing the "fence"...and the frizzen is case colored

TCFlintlockOldStylecloseuprightside.jpg

NEW STYLE TC FLINT LOCK ASSEMBLY”¦note much more gentle “S” curve shape (and no notch), it’s much taller with the lower jaw clearing much higher above the fence, the frizzen is solid jet black color, and you can see the huge new style vent liner in the photo

SAVE5CLOSEUPNewStyleLockArea800REDU.jpg

When TC first started making these guns no one in the industry had any real idea on what making a good lock was about.

The lubes we used the guns we bought and lack of personal experiance was universal. I speak from personl ignorance on the subject.

It seemed that we all expected thiese guns to fire once or twice at best.

Time and experiance TC has made a new lock with a new geomatry. That is it shoots better and does not run thru flints like the originals did.

Before you spend the money on a designer lock try the new one which is really quite outstanding. (and free)

I use aget flnts and they work fine. In my tc lock.

It would be a good idea to get their Traditional muzzle loaders manual online and read it since it has much good information in it.

I was in need of a lock for a T/C flintlock barrel. My choices were a T/C for $90 or the L&R for $130. I went with the L&R. I am waiting on it's arrival. I'll let you all know after I get it. As far as tuning a lock, that was somethng that I always did with a T/C or a Lyman any way.

Lots of good info. Thanks. I purcashed a pristine T/C Hawkin stock that does not have a lock yet and want to build a second flinter. You might say I got bit by the flintlock bug. The T/C lock seems to be winning out. My first flint is back at T/C for trigger issues. I suspect what they return to me will be the second or upgraded lock. Thanks all.

greetings amygo,

got 6? of the l&r locks, they are great locks.

got 6? of the tc locks, they are greater locks. :thumbsup:

..ttfn..grampa..

Once again thank you Roundball! Turns out I have the old style lock on my PA Hunter. I haven't shot the rifle yet because it needs to be bedded, floats around in the stock a wee bit too much to waste any powder. Beautiful wood for a factory gun though. Looking forward to shooting it. Will get my lock in the mail to T/C asap as well as the trigger, the return spring broke. I know I am gonna sound really stupid but I can't figure out how the heck to make it work? lol

Thanks again,

Billy

Back