• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C NE 12 gauge Deer Load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgtski

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have old TC New Englander 12 gauge with a straight cylinder choke and I want to work up a round ball deer load. Should I be using .690 or .715 roundball, patch only or 1/2 fiber wad and then patched ball. The range to shoot for is 50 yards max. I want increase my previous mark of many years ago of 15 yards with heavily patched 50 cal round ball and divine guidance, but it filled my deer tag any how.

thanks Sgtski

A .690 rd ball is the right size for your .12 ga N.E. I have had better luck using an overpowder wad, half a lubed fiber cushion wad and then either a patched rd ball or bare ball with an overshot card over it. 90 grs of 2f or Pyrodex RS should be a good load for you to try. Worked good in my .12 ga's.

Rebel, that load is a 3 1/4 dram load of powder under a one ounce(437.5 grains) ball. He can back that down to 2 3/4 drams( 75 grains) and still get very good accuracy and not nearly as much shove in his shoulder. A deer will never know the difference if its hit with that diameter and weight of ball.

He can. But that is what shot good in my double barrel .12 ga. And the recoil isn't that bad with it. About like 90 grs and 1 1/4oz of shot.

My results were similar to Rebel's. I had poor accuracy with light to moderate loads with groups tightening as I approached 1oo grains. 90 grains gave me good groups and moderate recoil. 100 gr would have been fine as well, but that didn't noticeably improve accuracy.

For what it's worth I would recommend starting at the 75 grain load just to see how your gun handles it. But if it shoots like my Navy Arms Double barrel you will want more powder behind the ball. I prefer using Goex to Pyrodex, but I picked up 6 pounds of Pyrodex RS for a really great price and will be using that in the 12 gauge for a while since all of my other long guns are flinters.

The roundballs from my mold weigh 495 grains about 1 1/8 oz.

sgtski said:
I have old TC New Englander 12 gauge with a straight cylinder choke and I want to work up a round ball deer load. Should I be using .690 or .715 roundball, patch only or 1/2 fiber wad and then patched ball. The range to shoot for is 50 yards max. I want increase my previous mark of many years ago of 15 yards with heavily patched 50 cal round ball and divine guidance, but it filled my deer tag any how.

thanks Sgtski

The best advice I can give is to try both size balls and see which one your gun like best. I have seen most on this forum like the .690 but many shooters I have seen in person have been shooting the .715 with a .010 patch & no card. Those useing the .690 usually use .017 to .020 patch, some use card some don't. The loads I see used most often range from 80 to 100 grains of 2F. With a little experimenting the gun will tell you what it likes.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Thanks all for the info I will be tracking down some lead and waiting for rain so we can shoot, to dry right now severe fire restrictions.

sgtski

Latest posts

Back