• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C New Englander.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey yall. I might be getting a T/C New Englander. It's used of course. .50 Cal. Outside looks real good.finish and blueing is great, the free bore has some pitting right before rifling, rifling looks decent, checked with flashlight, gonna check it again with it off. WAlnut stock in good shape. Decent Peep sights. Pretty gun. THe guy wants $295 for it. What do you think I should offer him? Is that decent? It's at a pawn/gun shop 5 minutes from me. I live in southern Maine in case i need T/C assistanc they are close. Opinions, experiences. I am sure it's a great gun, like the feel of it. Like the look and want to shoot some besides hunting. If i don't get this i am getting a T/C .22 Classic new for $250 and squirrel and rabbit season is longer. Shout so i can hear yah! Thanks, Carl

Sounds pretty high to me. I don't know about where you are, but here in Indiana, the pawn shops don't even want a side lock, and you'd be lucky if they gave you 100 bucks for any TC sidelock in new condition. You should be able to get that gun in good condition for $150 to $200. I got my Renegade, in the condition you are describing with sling and camo cover for $150.

Of course, I could be very wrong. I'm pretty new at this. If I'm wrong, somebody tell us.

Dave

Thanks Dave. Yeah. It is a bit high i though but it is no longer made. don't know how many where made...who knows. Keep em rollin in. It is in better shape than alot of the sidelocks i checked out down at Kittery Trading post. He also has a New CVA magnum .50, never fired bolt action, realtree for $200. Nice enough gun but doesnt have the soul this thing has.

I paid $150 for a smoothbore kit (wood stock) when they first came out in 1989. I think the seperate rifle barrel was like $99.99 on sale. $295 is about $95 too high even if it is in fine condition. They weren't much over $200 new.

They can be coaxed to shoot (50 yards offhand, PRB & 84 gr FFg - I love to show this image. :haha:)

Diamond.jpg

It is an excellent handling hunting gun, the single trigger has a good feel and can be used with gloves or mittens. I load light (42 gf FFg) for bunnies and squirrels. The shot barrel has frightened many grouse and killed several.

I just added brass tacks to mine and it looks like . . . a New Englander with brass tacks. :thumbsup: I like it, other folks think I is knutz. :youcrazy:

It sounds real high to me too. Just a few months ago I saw one at Kittery Trading Post for around $135. or so and it looked to be in ok shape. :imo: For the kind of money that pawn shop wants you could easily get a T/C Hawken or Renegade in very good to excellent shape.

Thanks guys. I thought it was high, the gun is nice and all but..there will be others, haha. Sebago, I'm from Maine too. Not far from Sebago lake at all.

Idono I like T/C's. If it were me I would stay away from CVA. I guess they maybe ok now but when I was buyin front stuffers they left a lot to be desired. I also like the more traditional stuff. Flinters, sidelocks. That all being said that does sound a little high. I always take a look at what a new one would cost and then make up my mind wheather it's worth it to go that way. I think new Hawkins are around 400 bucks. I don't know the exact figure. For 100 bucks I would get a new one.

Again I own about 10 or so T/C's and they all shoot better than I do once ya get the load down.

I think I'd keep lookin. Clean ones are out there. The way I look at it I will probably keep it for a life time so get a good one you can live with.

Good luck

Thanks thumbs. If i get one before the weekend I am going to hok up with a guy from the York County Powder Burners and do some shootin'. Keepingmy eyes peeled. Was wondering, would I be able to get a better deal after muzzleloading season is over? I hate to think i may give up my chance at a deer this year but I'm not exactly swimming in cash right now.

Well that is a "loaded" question. No pun intended.LOL

Probably not in a new rifle. They seem to stay pretty consistant in price. Used always has room to talk. Check WalMart. Also check their gun catalog benind the counter. Check the gun sale forums. Remember muzzleloaders are not firearms and can be shipped. If you know exactly what your looking for you could call D&R Sports in Nanicoke. They "usually" have pretty good prices. I have bought sever rifles from them.

If you are thinking about a muzzleloader for this deer season your probably to late unless you have a lot of spare time. These things take time to get to educate you to what the rifle wants. There is no set load for any rifle. You have to find what the rifle likes and to everything the exact way every time. Any varience from exactly the same way will effect your poi.

If I can help don't hesatate to let me know. I really love hunting with my ml's. More of a challange and a real feel of connection to the past.

I picked up a used TC New Englander in a pawn shop back in 1997 for $50. Sold it two years ago to a guy at work for $125. I posted a WTB ad for a LH TC Renegade on another outdoor forum and got a 50 cal for $175 delivered.

That $295 price is way out of line. :m2c:

Thanks guys. I might go down to Kittery and spend more time looking at the sidlelocks this time. Or....buy that .22, haha. At least i know how to shoot and maintain those... I will get something...sometime. The renegade has a longer barrel than the New Englander doesn't it? I like the shortish guns. Ok, keep on with the stories, opinions, etc. Thanks all. Peace.

As the others have said, the price is too high.
The TC Hawken IMO is a nicer gun (set triggers) and out here in Arizona they typically go for about $230 in excellent condition, without rust pits of any kind in the barrel.

TC has a great reputation for standing behind their guarentee, and this in itself makes their products desirable.

I would think a fair price would be around $180 for the New Englander.

If they will come down on the price to around that price, don't buy it until you have checked the barrel to see if it has been bulged (ringed). I once bought a used gun from a Pawn shop without checking for this and, sure enough, it was ringed.

To check for this condition, buy a .50 caliber cleaning jag and lightly oil a cleaning patch. Run the patched jag down the bore. If you feel any "loose" spots, the barrel has been damaged and isn't worth owning. TCs guarentee won't cover that kind of damage either.

The patch will give you a better feeling for the gun if it comes back out without rust all over it too.

Over at the[url] gunbroker.com[/url] auction site, New Englanders represented as "used but appear unfired" are languishing down around $150. $295 is too high. The guy may have been confused and meant $195. The peep sight does add a bit to the value, tho.

I like the New Englander style alot. It fits me much better than the T/C Hawken. Besides the wood/blued steel model, there was a rynite/blued steel version that had a 24" barrel and a rynite stainless version they called the Greyhawk. More recently T/C made the Black Mountain Magnum, which looks like a rynite New Englander but is 1:28" twist and can shoot sabots, Pyrodex pellets and 150gr. loads (not that you'd want to). The rynite stocks are ugly compared to wood but virtually indestructable...not a bad thing for a working gun.

I've got a Greyhawk that I'm very fond of and just picked up a New-In-Box B.M.Magnum at gunbroker for $200. If you buy a good one, you'll like it, whether pretty or ugly.
Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
There are 2 Grayhawks in my county with scopes, they want $80 for one, and $70 for the other. My wife told me to buy my own Christmas present, her arthritis is keepin' her from shoppin'. :what: :eek: ::

Thanks guys. YEah, when he said $295 i was thinking...ummmm about 100 bucks to high, but i wasnt sure. I will just tell him it's out of my price range and see what happens, otherwise I am looking elsewhere. Thanks again everyone and good shooting.

If you do find a reasonably priced New Englander I am sure you will lke the way it shoots and handles. I have one in .54 cal along with a 12 ga barrel. It carries well and shoots very well. It is a good, overall kick around gun. Don't have to worry about scratching it, etc while in the field. I put a rubber recoil pad on mine to tame the recoil of the 12 ga. It ain't pretty but it is functional.

Don't look like I reckon to be gettin' a smoke pole anytime soon. Right now is full on job search. Something will turn up. I am turning into one of those people who would love to own about 40 different guns though. I never owned a firearm until 2 years ago. Right now i have a 30-30, inherited, pretty walnut. 870 REmington given to me. Which by the way seems to want o rust if you look at it the wrong way. What is up with that anyway? My winchester never gets surface rust. Unfortunatly I got this gun , and the wife has been running a humidifier at night in the same room.....Being the idiot that I am I didnt think to move the gun. under the pump is some surface rust and inside the barel as well. I only shot maybe 8 rounds out of the thing since i got it. WEll anyway, i know im stupid. My winchester is still fine, since i have attachments and manure to clean it with. anyway, i cut big cloth patches and shoved em down with bore cleaner, then the same with Hoppes gun Oil. I suck. This proves that the world is going to hell. Kids are brought up not being taught how to take care of guns...I am a product of this. Anyway, I am on a 12 step program owards recovery and my shotgun and i are seeking counseling...unfortunatly she now suffers from some very slight surface pitting.....will this effect it at all? the spread of shot that is? oh yeah, New Ennglander...some day i will have one, and take good care of it. I promise.

To get rid of surface rust try wiping some light gun oil with #0000 steel wool. Use a light oil. It will get into any pits and float the rust out as well as coating the metal.
Keep the gun lightly oiled, especially if it is kept in a humid room.
You may also try using one of the silicon impregnated gun socks to protect it.
The best would be a gun safe with a dehumidifier rod inside.
HTH,
Jim

Thanks Jim, i just picked up one oh them socks. WHat can i do about the inside of the barrel? Just one oh them attachments right? will the minor pitting effect a shotgun? thanks guys. :p

Latest posts

Back