• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Renegade Hammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Paskowski

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just picked up a Renegade with double triggers for $100.00. Needs some cleaning. There's a V shape notch cut in the part of the hammer that strikes the cap is this normal? And if so what's the purpose.

:thumbsup: That is perfectly normal. The purpose is for the skirt or "wings" of the cap to expand out and hopefully make the spent cap easier to remove from the nipple.

Jac S. Muell

I'm not sure I agree with the reasons above...I've read that the purpose of the 'V' shaped notch was to provide a pressure release point that always vented the pressure to the front, away from the shooters face.

The side benefit of the cap bursting/flaring does indeed allow the cap to come off easier...sometimes...but a lot of times it also actually causes the cap to flare/expand tight within the hammer shroud and they have to be picked out.

:hatsoff: Makes a lot of sense. You learn something new everyday. Thanks Roundball.
:thumbsup:

Jac S. Muell

Yes, There are skirts on percussion hammers that grab onto exploded caps in the skirt, even when there is a hair lip cut in the front of the skirt.

I use a grinding bit on a dremel tool to both polish the skirt, and to angle, or cone the skirt so that it is wider at the mouth than back where the hammer face is located. That seems to stop the caps from sticking in the skirt, and they drop off the hammer and the nipple when the hammer is lifted.

Since I am doing both polishing of the skirt and hammer face with my grinding bit, removing casting burrs, and coning the skirt at the same time, I can't say which action is responsible for the "fix". I just know it works. :shocked2: :haha: :hatsoff:

WV DAVE said:
Just picked up a Renegade with double triggers for $100.00. Needs some cleaning. There's a V shape notch cut in the part of the hammer that strikes the cap is this normal? And if so what's the purpose.

Somebody call a cop, WV DAVE stole that gun!
Nice find but I am green with envy. :thumbsup: Ron

Latest posts

Back