• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Renegade question from a newbie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Gray

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Fellas, I am looking to buy my first ML and have found a T/C Renegade .54 with a 31 inch 1:66 T/C round ball barrel with a P grade American Walnut stock. The bore is very good as well as the over all condition of the rifle. My question is how much is the rifle worth? I have only seen pictures of this rifle via the internet. This is the rifle I want to start with. As a teenager I had the chance to hunt with a cousins Renegade and thought is was well made and very accurate. I have scoured the local pawn shops and came up with zero front loaders. I know from reading the posts on this forum that the Renegade is a popular rifle. I appreciate the help. Scott

Marlin357man said:
Fellas, I am looking to buy my first ML and have found a T/C Renegade .54 with a 31 inch 1:66 T/C round ball barrel with a P grade American Walnut stock. The bore is very good as well as the over all condition of the rifle. My question is how much is the rifle worth? I have only seen pictures of this rifle via the internet. This is the rifle I want to start with. As a teenager I had the chance to hunt with a cousins Renegade and thought is was well made and very accurate. I have scoured the local pawn shops and came up with zero front loaders. I know from reading the posts on this forum that the Renegade is a popular rifle. I appreciate the help. Scott
Not to be short, but it's worth is really up to an individual...several issues enter into the purchase:
How close does it fit your needs?
What kind of condition is it in?
Does it have regular wood or upgraded wood?
Standard or round ball barel?

Sounds like it might bring a little more than an average Renegade everything else being equal.

Is it a caplock or Flintlock?
What is the asking price?
Do you 'want' it?

Your description sounds like that of the gunworks here in oregon.
If it is, they under describe their stuff. You will be happy with your purchase and they are good to work with. I looked at it on their site, so I'm guessing here, but think i'm right.
good looking gun and a fair price!

if its what you want and you don't feel violated by the price, go for it. average used renegades at shows around here go for 200.00 to 250.00 depending on condition. yours sounds very cherry. nice find with a prb barrel.

ayup, what walruskid said. i'd feel comfortable dropping 200 to 250 for a renegade in good condition. i suspect that if you do, you will have forgotten how much you spent on it long before (or if ever) you tire of the rifle. i've still got mine and i cannot envision parting with it.

good luck

msw

54's are the round ball king and you can't go wrong with a Renegade. Mine took it's 14th Wisconsin buck Sat. morning.

If the price is over $250 and you have time to shop do so unless you know for a fact this rifle is mint and it is what you want.

That my friend is what is called value. Knowing what you want and getting it at a price you feel is fair.

I got a flintlock Renegade at a gun show last year with a +p stock and 95% overall for $150. It is an awsome shooting gun. 1:48 and it still chucks the roundballs down range just fine.

I hunt with the T/C Renegade in .54 cal. Only mine has the 1 in 48 twist. I love this rifle and prefer it to some of the other muzzleloaders i have had the chance to hunt with. I have found it to be easy to clean and love the hair trigger when you use the set trigger on the Renegade models. It's the only 'out of the box' rifle i have ever used that consistantly 'suprises' me when the trigger breaks. Like the others have said, if it's under $250.00 it sounds like a good deal.

Guys,
Thanks for the responses. If I do get the Renegade I have a lot of questions, so have patience. Thanks

I had a 50 cal Thompson Center (TC web site) Hawken years ago and sold it. I really missed the TC and I wanted interchangeable barrels. I found a 54 Renegade percussion for $180, so I bought it. I have maxi, Minie and ball molds for it. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Unfortunately TC stopped making all the traditional models years ago, except for the plain Hawken. The Lyman Great Plains Rifle is very popular, so they must be pretty good too.

PA Rifleman said:
I had a 50 cal Thompson Center (TC web site) Hawken years ago and sold it. I really missed the TC and I wanted interchangeable barrels. I found a 54 Renegade percussion for $180, so I bought it. I have maxi, Minie and ball molds for it. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Unfortunately TC stopped making all the traditional models years ago, except for the plain Hawken. The Lyman Great Plains Rifle is very popular, so they must be pretty good too.
I've never understood TC's catalog strategy...because their Fox Ridge retail store right there on the plant grounds in NH still sells the Renegade and Hawken, in .50/.54/.58cals, both cap & Flint...and still sell .50/.54cal 1:66" round ball barrels, both cap & Flint.

roundball said:
TC's ...retail store right there on the plant grounds in NH still sells the Renegade and Hawken, in .50/.54/.58cals, both cap & Flint...and still sell .50/.54cal 1:66" round ball barrels, both cap & Flint.

Would this be related to Fox Creek Outfitters co-op'ing with TC? And Hawkens too!

Where is that advertised?

No, not Fox Creek..."Fox Ridge", 800-243-4570...check the TC website for a link to Fox Ridge...may be referred to as the Custom Shop, although it really hasn't been much of a 'custom' shop for years

Thanks Roundball...I did check TC's webpage and I do recall something like that about a year ago. I checked a few minutes ago and the custom shop appears to deal only in Contenders & Encores. See[url] http://www.tcarms.com/customShop/[/url]

I must agree with you, I don't understand their marketing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back