• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Trigger Adjustments

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a T/C Hawken in .50 cal which I finally got around to casting some balls for, and was looking forward to a test fire, ahead of taking it out after mountain goat (plenty of them around here - and good eating too).

However, when I was looking it over, the trigger operation is a bit weird so was hoping for some advice from you guys.

What I expected was for the double set trigger to operate like just about every other one I have used, with the front trigger acting like a normal 2-stage trigger (but possibly a bit heavy), and with the hair trigger only engaged after it is "set" by pulling back the rear trigger.

However, what I got is a hair trigger that can't be "set" no matter where the little adjustment screw is. The normal trigger operation seems OK, but sometimes the trigger return is sluggish and it appears to be galling somewhere. Matter of fact, you can discharge the firearm by pushing "forward" on the rear trigger, depending on where the adjustment screw is. Like I said, weird!!!

Any ideas? I am thinking maybe a broken spring in the trigger plate but I can't get at it. I tried removing the lock but is seems stuck and I didn't want to force it. Similarly, the trigger guard is almost immovable so I can't get to the trigger plate either without forcing it.

Is there a trick to removing these components?

All advice gratefully received

Cheers

Robbo :thumbsup:

Remove the lock.

Remove the trigger guard.
The old style trigger guard is held on with two obvious brass wood screws;

The newer style has a rear wood screw then the front tang bolt has to be unscrewed as it goes all the way down through the stock and threads into the trigger guard.

Then remove the triggers...trigger plate is held in place by a single screw at its rear;

Wiggle it out see if its gunked up, then hold it in place and see if its rubbing / binding on wood...(have to have the lock removed to look in there while doing this).

The old style stocks sometimes seem to have had very marginal clearances when they were inletted for the triggers & lock internals...and over the years if the stocks continued to dry and shrink more, they might come into contact with moving parts...conversely if the wood has swelled up for any reason the same thing might be able to happen.

Robbo said:

However, when I was looking it over, the trigger operation is a bit weird so was hoping for some advice from you guys.

What I expected was for the double set trigger to operate like just about every other one I have used, with the front trigger acting like a normal 2-stage trigger (but possibly a bit heavy), and with the hair trigger only engaged after it is "set" by pulling back the rear trigger.

However, what I got is a hair trigger that can't be "set" no matter where the little adjustment screw is. The normal trigger operation seems OK, but sometimes the trigger return is sluggish and it appears to be galling somewhere. Matter of fact, you can discharge the firearm by pushing "forward" on the rear trigger, depending on where the adjustment screw is. Like I said, weird!!!

Any ideas? I am thinking maybe a broken spring in the trigger plate but I can't get at it. I tried removing the lock but is seems stuck and I didn't want to force it. Similarly, the trigger guard is almost immovable so I can't get to the trigger plate either without forcing it.

Is there a trick to removing these components?

All advice gratefully received

Cheers

Robbo :thumbsup:

You should be able to remove the lock and the trigger guard after the screws are removed.
You may have to force them a bit to break them loose but once done they should come out easily.

Before you force the lock out of the stock, set it at half cock. Then back out the lock retaining screw about 1/16 of an inch. Place a small block of wood or plastic on the head of the screw and tap the block lightly with a small hammer. That should drive the lock out just a bit.
After this, remove the screw completely and the lock should come out with a slight rocking action on the hammer spur.

The trigger guard will probably loosen if it is lightly tapped with a hammer.

You may be right about the front triggers spring being broken or missing.
The front trigger should be spring loaded to a forward position any time your finger is not pressing on it.

As for the rear trigger releasing the sear/lock when it is pressed forward this is normal. You are just using your finger pressure to do what the set triggers big spring does.

You should be able to back out the little screw between the triggers to increase the engagement of the front triggers latch with the rear set triggers catch.
The actual effect of doing this is very subtle.

You should remove the trigger guard, the breech block screw and the trigger assembly and check out the front trigger spring to make sure it is there and it is pushing the trigger forward like it should.

Another thing to look for while you have the trigger assembly out is to see if any of its moving parts are rubbing on some wood in the mortice. It only takes a small splinter in there to cause problems.
If nothing is appearently hitting, lightly rub some lip stick on the internal surfaces of the moving parts and reinstall the trigger assembly.

Operate it like you expect it to be operated and then remove it from the stock.
Look for any sign of lipstick on any of the wood surfaces. If you see some, use a sharp knife to remove the wood and try the trigger assembly in the stock again.
When your finished no lipstick should be transferred to the wood anywhere.

If you're interested, a T/C manual is available for download from their website.

Also...some of the T/Cs, depending on how tight the set trigger spring has been screwed down, are almost impossible to set...will hurt your finger you have to pull so hard to overcome the spring tension and get it to click into place;

If this was a used purchase, somebody may have been tinkering around with that big flat spring, thought the tightening set screw was loose, and screwed it down tight, increasing the spring tension to gorrilla levels.

OR...a previous owner may have been trying to polish the tip of the set trigger and accidently shortened it so that it no longer 'catches' under the lip on the front trigger;

Page 27/28 deals with trigger adjustments.
http://www.tcarms.com/assets/manuals/current/Shooting_TC_Side_Lock_Black_Powder_Guns.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
While you can try what the others have suggested. This sounds like a good time to use T.C.s lifetime warranty service. You pay more for T.C.S but you get the warranty so why not use it?

Thanks to all for the help. I have downloaded the manual and it will come in very handy. And ys, it is a used purchase and I starting to understand why the gun seemed almost unfired!!!!!

I have also removed the lock and trigger guard as per your instructions.

What I have found is that the front trigger is very tight in it's housing and doesn't move freely on its pin, even though it seems to have a very tiny spring which I assume is for returning the trigger to its start point after firing. The trigger is much too tight on its pin for that spring to work.

The next problem is that despite having used available adjustment on the adjustment screw, the thing just won't "set the front trigger.

Any further thoughts? I really appreciate your help, by the way.

Best Wishes

Robbo

The front trigger most move forward far enough for the rear trigger bar to engage the set notch on the right side of the front trigger. Try holding the front trigger forward and see if the rear bar will engage in the front trigger. this can all be functioned and looked at with the trigger assembly out of the stock. if it works out of the stock the problem is something in the trigger mortise.

Thanks Gill - that seems to work OK so long as I push the front trigger forward. But am I right in assuming that the tiny wee spring on the front trigger should be performing this function? My trigger is way to tight on the pin to allow free movement of the trigger without considerable force.

I think my next step is to dissassemble to front trigger and relieve the pin or the housing a little. Emery paper???

Either that, or send the bloody thing back to TC. But the only problem with that is for us, sending rifle parts in and out of this country can be problematic.

Cheers

Robbo

Robbo said:
am I right in assuming that the tiny wee spring on the front trigger should be performing this function? My trigger is way to tight on the pin to allow free movement of the trigger without considerable force.

I think my next step is to dissassemble to front trigger and relieve the pin or the housing a little. Emery paper???

Robbo

Your on the right track robbo. that wee spring should move the trigger back freely
The trigger must have a bit of neglect and got cruddy.
It's really pretty easy, those pins will drive OUT from Right to Left, the left side I believe is serrated/splined.
I disassemble mine and polish the sides (of the trigger piece itself) till they shine abit using an oiled india stone or what you might use to sharpen your knife. Emery paper will work, just keep it flat. Don't take so much off it wobbles in there, just clean it up. A little oil,,,

Then while you have it out, adjust that screw in back for that big flat spring on the rear trigger, you'll "feel" the tension it puts on it. Set it to what you like.

You get in a pinch, get ahold of me, I'll trade ya for one of mine,,turn over time will be much shorter for ya than trying to wait for factory work. :wink:

BINGO!!!

Thanks to the help - generously given by all here - problem is solved.

It turned out to be a trigger pin just a bit too tight. I pulled it all apart, polished it up with a wee bit of wet and dry 400 grit, cleaned and oiled the lot, put it back together and all is good.

I am always amazed by the knowledge here - and the willingness to share it. I hope I can repay the favour one day.

But now, it off after goats ....

Best wishes

Robbo

"I am always amazed by the knowledge here,"

I'm amazed with the membership and common passion!

It's World Wide :thumbsup:

Good Luck with yer hunt, may yer aim be true. :grin:

Latest posts

Back