• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T. Ketland Blunderbuss ID

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fpereira

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Anyone can help me to get more info about this flintlock (coach gun?). The mechanism is a T. Ketland and the barrel (2/3 hexagonal) have just one visible proofmark.

DSC05105a.JPG

DSC05108b.JPG

DSC05839a.JPG

Thanks

All I can say is that lock was probably replaced, the stock style and barrel looks a whole lot older than the lock

This looks to me like a cobbled together mix of odd parts. It isn't a blunderbuss barrel at all... but a cut up musket barrel that has had a cartoon-like flaring job done to it. The whole lock is probably from an export grade Ketland musket ca. 1800-1810 - the rest of the parts could be from anything.

I understand.....Thanks!
And about the barrel proof mark? Anyone know this symbol?

I ought to have added that the Ketlands did a considerable export business in South/Latin America so the presence of a Ketland export grade lock is completely appropriate.

This looks like something that probably came out of Mexico, I had seen several in a museum collection (in the basement storage) out in New Mexico years ago - most cobbled together from old
musket parts or cut down muskets - looked like the flaring was done at the local blacksmith's
rather than the work of a gunsmith.

Back