• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Taming the High Ridge "Hump Back" english flint

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
I'm glad to report that "SquireJohn's" recently posted tip of gluing a pad of leather on the back slope of a high ridge hump back english flint works great!!
I cut some small pads of 1/8" thick scrap leather, lined up a row of high ridge 'hump back' flints, put a big dab of
contact cement on the back slope, pressed a pad of leather in place and let them sit overnight.
Put the modified flint in a regular piece of flint leather and they mount in the jaws like normal, no odd angles or squeezing forward when the jaws are tightened, etc...great tip SquireJohn, thanks

Say, this would be a prime candidate for the new TIPS catagory when it come out... ::

another soluion "in a pinch" would be to turn the flint over putting the ridge against the fixed surface of the lower jaw and the flat surface against the moveale upper jaw.

take care, daniel

At the risk of starting more puns are these "Hump Back Shale" :: The leather thing does sound like a rock solid idea.

I used those humped back flints for so long, I thought they were right side up when they were upside down.

C F

Latest posts

Back