• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tang sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dobson

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi there, anyone know anything about peep sights? I am thinking about getting one for my Hawken .58. I am thinking it might tighten the group up out at the further ranges (75 ”“ 100yds) cant see me wanting the take longer shots than say 120yds.
I have looked at the Dixie web site and they are offering:-
1- the Lyman #2 (Winchester tang sight) flip up type peep sight. Is it adjustable for windage? Or do you use the front for that adjustment? Anybody using it?
2- An adjustable tang sight ”“ very expensive -$195
3- Lyman micrometer tang sight looks big and clunky but fully adjustable any info??
4- Vernier tang sight 2-1/2 inch adjustment type is this a front sight adjustment as well.

Any info experiences with the above would be welcome

Thanks in advance

Dobson

Dobson, to be sure you'rew aware of this...if you plan to use them for typical hunting like deer hunting in woods, etc...peep sights are nortoriously poor to use in the low light conditions of dawn and dusk...when most good deer are seen.

The aperature can usually be removed altogether for hunting which diminishes the benefits of the peep but at least gives sort of a "ghost ring" effect

Dobson, I have the Lyman #2 installed on two of my BP cartridge rifles. They are not windage adjustable, you must drift the front sight. I have found them to be very accurate with the diopter installed. For cowboy competition, I remove the diopter and use it like a ghost ring. It is much faster to pick up and cowboy targets are plenty big. For us older guys, it really helps clarify the sights. :thumbsup:

IMO you can't beat a peep for hunting. Your eye automatically centers the front sight in the apature so you only need to concentrate on placing the front sight on what you want to hit.

Don't worry about low light when hunting as I believe the apature should be removed for the ghost ring effect, you only need minute of deer accuracy.

T/C makes a great hunting peep sight for the Hawken and Renegade I believe it's right around $50.00 give or take a few dollars.

The Lyman 57 is a good piece of machinery, very precise adjustments which stay set and can easily be removed and reinstalled without loss of zero. The downside is, they look like a piece of machinery.
You can drill and tap a single 10x32 hole vertically in the tang and fabricate a simple peep from a common 10x32 thumbscrew with 1/8" aperture. Windage must be adjusted at the front sight but very accurate elevation adjustment is acquire by turning the screw into or out of the threaded tang and locked in place with a jam nut. For a jam nut, I like to use the knurled nut made for supporting a front sling swivel. I find these very satisfactory and would not consider hunting with anything but a peep. With a large ivory bead up front and a 1/8" rear peep, if I can see the critter I can see my sights.
The U.S. military went to peep sights at the start of WW deuce and never went back. Since the military has to fight under all conditions, including night time, and since they require very sturdy equippment, I think that says it all for the rear peep sight.
Old time writers, such as Elmer Keith, Townsend Whelen and others of that era all hunted with peep sights untill good, sturdy and reliable scopes became available in the nineteen-fifties, which also says a lot about the value of peeps.

I have a CVA Bobcat that I haven't shot and a Spanish made Kentuckey that I love. The sights look very similar but the Kentuckey sights are great while the CVA's are terrible. The main differances are the Kentuckey's rear notch is a little wider and the front is brass while the CVA's front is blue.

Latest posts

Back