• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tang sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dobson

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Sorry Mr Moderator i think i posted this in the wrong place first. I didnt meant to be a fool when i was born honest!! :surrender:

Hi there, anyone know anything about peep sights? I am thinking about getting one for my Hawken .58. I am thinking it might tighten the group up out at the further ranges (75 ”“ 100yds) cant see me wanting the take longer shots than say 120yds.
I have looked at the Dixie web site and they are offering:-
1- the Lyman #2 (Winchester tang sight) flip up type peep sight. Is it adjustable for windage? Or do you use the front for that adjustment? Anybody using it?
2- An adjustable tang sight ”“ very expensive -$195
3- Lyman micrometer tang sight looks big and clunky but fully adjustable any info??
4- Vernier tang sight 2-1/2 inch adjustment type is this a front sight adjustment as well.

Any info experiences with the above would be welcome

Thanks in advance

Dobson

The Thompson Center tang sight should meet your requirements. It's fully adjustable and not overpriced. You can also use your current front sight. You can see it at the Midway USA web site. Item number is 620637. Hope this helps.

I prefer the Lyman 57. The Hawken would use the Lyman 57sml but if you buy the 57gpr it is the same sight with the addition of an adapter for use with Lyman Great Plains rifles. It is a little clunky but is fully adjustable and the sight can also be removed and re-installed and will return to zero.

If you are going to hunt in low light conditions like in the brush early and late I think you will go back to the open sight. I would put the tang on only for work at the range.

tang sight works great in low light if the aperature can be removed, leaving a large "ghost ring". your eyeball can sure center something fast in a doughnut.

'Bout 25 years ago I had a TC tang mounted peep sight, but the detent was too weak; kept flopping down. Tried to fix it & it never worked well after that. Maybe newer ones will stay where they're supposed to.

So I got a more primitive peep sight. Nothing more than a threaded bolt through the tang with a "drum" mounted on it. Height was adusted by screwing the sight down or up. (When bringing the rifle to the range for me once, my wife thought it was loose so screwed it down tight...) No windage adjustment. The aperature was threaded, so you could screw in different diameter aperature inserts. Could shoot well with it, but had to take it off for "open sight only" matches.

I have three Lyman 57sml's I like them. I have not had the low light problem others talk about. I like the fact I can use a range finder and set the sight for the yardage I am going to shoot. No hold over for me. Ron

The best peep sight for hunters that I ever used is the AO Ghost Ring sight,mounted just ahead of the drum/touch hole.Requires drilling and tapping 2 holes in the barrel.Adjustable for both windage and elevation,great visibility,plus neat and tidy! The Williams Guide Sight is a cheaper,but usable option that mounts in the same manner.Both available for most sizes of octagon barrels.
AO Sight Systems Inc.[url] www.aosights.com[/url]
Williams Gun Sight Co.[url] www.williamsgunsight.com[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Being that I have trouble seeing both sights and the target at age 50, what about using a flip up tang sight to simulate the effect of a Merit Disc? I have a Merit but that's only practical on the range. Is there a fairly easy way to mount an adjustable aperture on the tang of a flinter so I can better focus on my sights? :confused:

-Ray

Latest posts

Back