• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Target style sights for hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robtattoo

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've just bought myself another rifle & I'm really wanting to put on a set of target sights for the range. A Creedmore rear & Globe front. However, I also plan on using this as a hunting gun.

Does anyone hunt with this sight setup?

Are there any great disadvantages to doing this?

For me it depends on whether I might be shooting in low light situations or not. If I have a rear aperture sight I use the adjustable. Lyman also makes various fixed rear aperture peep sights that work well.

The disadvantage to the aperture sight is it's difficult in low light. I've also used ghost sights by lyman that have a brass ring on the edge for low light situations.

Don't get me wrong I also used standard buckhorn sights. It depends on whats mounted on my rifle.

I've done a fair bit of it, both with modern guns and muzzleloaders.

It works best if you have a spare disc for your Creedmore with a larger aperture. You can also change the front insert for a post if you like. I do that for large game, but with small game I prefer a smallish globe. You haven't shot small game till you center and eyeball in that front globe. Talk about a jump in visibility and hit percentage!

The downside I've found with a hooded front, both with globe and post inserts is snow. Get some snow in that hood, and it's a royal PITA to get out, as the gun is meanwhile useless till you do.

I do it, but it only makes sense for certain types of rifles.

It's not something that one would do for a roundball gun. Just no point in it as the range isn't there.

But another issue is that the tang of most traditional styles of rifles is not compatible with a Creedmoor type of tang sight unless you have a ridiculously tall front sight as well.

What are you trying to do? And what type of rifle (including twist rate and bullet).

I have 4 sets of sights for an underhammer .45. It is an 18" twist barrel compatible with paper patched bullets that are up to 1.5" long and 550 grs. As a hunting rifle, I typically have the barrel sights set for 75 or 100 yds.

I then use a Marbles (Lyman has one too) sight made for a Model 14 Remington. You could also use a version made for a Savage 99 or a few other similar types of rifles with high wrists. That sight is set for 200 yds and the ammunition, powder and accuracy is perfectly adequate for that. In that way, I have both short and relatively long range covered with the flip of my thumb. But thats a lot different than using a Creedmoor style Vernier or Soule sight.

Brent

It's actually an 1885 High Wall (I didn't know where else to ask about BPCR stuff) in .45-70

rearsights.jpg

Both sights are on Underhammers. The left is a lollipop sight made by John Taylor a member here. It has a rear aperture that can be adjusted to different size holes. The other is an old TC sight.

I have Lyman 57 SML peeps on my rifles. I also use the Lyman globe sight number 17 AML. I use a Lee Shavers BPCR insert in the sight.
Lee Shavers can set you up with a sight.
Since this rifle is actually a 45-70 centerfire rifle maybe this is the wrong area to ask this question. Ron

I have the Lyman 57 rear sight with the Globe front sight set up on two rifles. This past week I was out deer hunting with the TC 45 cal Hawken. At quiting time I looked through the peep and found the large hunters apterture was still good to go at quiting time. I have a larger Williams twilight 1/8 aperture in the cap box, but doesn't look like I will be needing it.

I do ut all the time.Well, that is since I put a globe and apreture sigth on my Pedersoli Pensylvania.I am not concern at all with it not being PC bacause the gun is not to begin with.
I set it up with a bigger globe front and a rather large peep opening for low ligth conditions.I've been printing sub 1" groups at 50 yds since.Squirrels are no match for this set up as long as they stop moving for a couple of seconds.It takes just a bit longer to acuaire the target.

Back