• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC 56

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sffar

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,
My first topic here”“I've been having a great time reading the posts.
I've got a chance to pick up a TC 56 cal percussion smoothbore that's in good shape for a reasonable price. I'd really prefer to own a flintlock, though. Is it possible to switch locks on this gun? Would a flintlock breech plug fit the stock the same way (if that was necessary)? I know there are replacement caplocks of higher grade that pretty much drop in, but they're all I've seen advertised. No flintlocks.
Thanks,
Sam

Yes, it can be done, but you'd probably have to ship the barrel to T/C to have the breechplug changed. Many years ago T/C changed their breechplug threads to an odd-ball proprietary thread, not the standard 5/8x18 the rest of the industry uses.
Would it be worth doing? I don't think so. You'd be looking at one hundred or so for a replacement lock plus whatever T/C may charge to change the plug plus shipping both ways. I think you'd be ahead to just wait to find one factory built as a flintlock even if it costs a bit more than the percussion you're looking at.

I agree with CJ...and here's some additional info.

I was able to pay T/C to convert a couple of .45cal x 1:66" RB barrels to Flint for $65 each but I had to whine a lot on the basis that T/C had stopped making the .45cal x 1:66" in Flint and I really wanted a couple :grin: so the service manager agreed and converted two of them over a couple year period.

I've since gone back to T/C asking if they'd convert another caplock barrel to Flint and they said no, its not something they normally do, that the previous service manager did me a favor by doing the other ones and now he's retired, etc.

You'll be faced with the cost of a Flint lock assembly no matter what road you travel to get there so the cost delta is really what it would take to get a 1" Flint smoothbore barrel to drop into your stock.

GM made a special run of .62cal(.20ga) 1" x 33' Flint smoothbore drop-in barrels for the T/C Hawken & Renegade, and they are excellent, but GM just sold the last of them before the holidays and claim that they aren't going to make any more...so you might post a WANTED AD in the classifieds on a few ML forums to find a good clean used one...then sell of the caplock .56cal.

And finally, TOW does/did make a breechplug to T/C's specs...you could buy one and pay a smith to convert and blue the .56cal...but IMO, that's a lot of money...and effort, mailings, coordinating, etc, to invest in fairly short barreled smoothbore barrel of modest diameter (.28ga). I think hunting for/finding a good used GM .62cal(.20ga) would be time and money better spent and in the end you'd have a much better overall, more versatile gauge & barrel.

Not knocking anybody's caplock .56cal...had one myself years ago...but he wants a Flint barrel and GM's .62cal Flint smoothbore drop-in barrels have been outstanding for me.

CoyoteJoe and roundball,
Thanks for your advice. It is a bit of an oddball musket. I think I'll plan according to your advice and live with it as is”“assuming I purchase it”“unless I find a good deal on the GM replacement. Perhaps I'll go as far as to call TC and ask about parts, but I'm not expecting much. I am up there in NH once in a while, so I could pick up parts if they had them and would sell them. It's a pretty big operation, though, and I'd be surprised if they agreed to it.
For $150 it seems like a pretty good gun, but an oddball.
Thanks again!
Sam

That's one hell of a shooter you purchased. Sometimes my T/C .56 shoots shots in the same hole and I have to walk right up to the target to believe my eyes. Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Yup, heck of a shooter for sure! I had an early one and the wood was GORGEOUS! Anyone would be thrilled to have that wood on any fine firearm, figure and color ... and on a 'lowly' T/C sidelock to beat.

I used cast 0.550" roundballs, as Mass only allowed smoothbore cap guns at that time. I also put an aperture sight up off the tang, she'd shoot ragged hole groups @ 50-yards from the bench.

I still use mine for small game and even took it out deer hunting this year. I agree about the hunting accuracy and the wood. These guns are a real bargain for $150 in my opinion. I hope you enjoy yours sffar, and welcome to the forum.

:hatsoff:
Spot

Well, now I've got to pick it up!
The wood on this one's OK. Nothing outstanding but decent enough. I think it's a Renegade, not a Hawken. I recall it's got a blue trigger guard. So that makes it probably a little plainer, but it should be just as good a shooter. Otherwise, looks like what little wear it has came from sitting around, not from use.
Thanks for all the information and encouragement”“one hole groups always get me interested!
I actually found some boxes of .550 RB today in a shop. I know they're hard to find, and the guy wanted $8/25. I passed for now as I don't think they'll disappear too fast. Bought a box of Speer .530 ($8/100) thinking I could use a thick patch. I've read people use .535. Maybe I'm pushing it, but I'm new to this, and at least I'll have something to blast away with.
Sam

Good to know about Kittery. They aren't cheap, but they are big. You never know what you'll find there. Anyway, I'll be having to go out of state for BP.
So I picked up the gun, partly because of the good things people had to say about it. Some slight freckling here and there, but it's cleaning up great. Hard to tell if it was ever shot. Got to set up the trigger next.
Thanks to all, again, for the advice and information. I'll be keeping my eyes open for a flint trade musket or fowler”“something more traditional”“but for now this smoothbore should suit me well.
Sam

Went to Kittery, ME and bought some .550 PRB and accessories. Shot the .56 today”“lots of fun. No one hole groups yet, but it shot nicely and grouped pretty well. The .550 ball is very tight, even with the lubed .010 patches and wiping the barrel between shots. Probably should find a ball starter. Lots of fun, though, in spite of the cold weather we're having here.
Seemed to prefer 90 grains of 2F to the lighter 80 grain load I started with.
Pretty big ball, and a "26 gauge" shotgun seems to make this a really versatile muzzleloader. Even that it's a caplock probably adds to it's versatility as far as powder goes. Glad I picked it up! And, again, thanks for all the advice.
Sam

Glad to hear you're enjoying the gun, :grin: you might want to try Wonder Wads in .58 for it. I used to use .54's, but at the recommendation of soemone else on this forum I tried the .58's and found they are much better.

I have found that my .56 patterns better if I use more shot than powder - I'll use 80 grains of 3f and 100 grains (volume equivalent) of #4 shot for squirrels.

Keep us posted. :thumbsup:

Spot

Thanks for the advice, Spot. Would that be two wonder wads over the powder and one over the shot?
Thanks,
Sam

Hi Sam,

I've not found a need to use two Wonder Wads over the powder, although someone else might say differently.

The T/C .56 is the only gun I use Wonder Wads for, so I'm surely no expert on their use. But I have had good experiences with what I have used. Try it both ways and tell me what you think. I ain't too old ta learn somethin'. :wink:

Spot

sffar said:
Went to Kittery, ME and bought some .550 PRB and accessories.

Did you find the .550 roundballs on the floor display at KTP or did you have to ask for them? I have never seen that caliber available there before. They only seemed to carry up to .54 and then skip to .62

One Oxyoke .58cal wonderwad over powder, and a Circel Fly .28ga OS card over the shot.

NOTE:
Use a flat faced shotgun jag to seat them or the cup face of a ball jag will curve the edges of the OS card down slightly, effectively reducing its diameter and it will no longer be a tight fit horizontally straight across against the bore walls...shot charge can slide right out.

I found the 24ga cards worked best in mine. 28's were a bit loose. Couldn't find any 26ga.

Hello XXX,
The .550 ball is on the floor, on a shelf near the corner where the reloading gear is sold. There were three boxes, and I bought two Sunday, so maybe there's at least one left. 10.49/50. They're cast by M&P in VT. Roache's in Cambridge MA has some on the shelf as well. More money, though.
I'd like to find a mold!
Sam

roundball and jethro224,
Thanks for the help. Good to know .58 cal/24 gauge wads are the way to go, as .56 wads seem hard to come by. I'll give shot a try asap”“this cold spell's got to pass first!
I'm going to have to look up about those cardboard wads, and I was wondering about using the ramrod”“maybe I can figure a way to screw a disk on the rod to use for tamping cardboard.
This gun needs a mold and a right sized punch!
Sam

sffar said:
This gun needs a mold and a right sized punch!
A slightly over size diameter on the wads is a good thing...google up Arch punches and see if you can find one that measures .575"-580"

Latest posts

Back