• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC new englander barrel on hawken stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't actually tried it but I don't think so. I'm pretty sure the New Englander barrel is more than 15/16" wide at the breech end so it would be wider than the inlet of the stock at the rear and tapering more narrow toward the front. Wait-
OK I just ran down to the shop and measured my New Englander barrel. Understand I wouldn't go to that bother for just anyone, you now owe me big time. :haha: It goes 1.023" just ahead of the breechplug and .910" at the muzzle. The Hawken stock is inlet for a 15/16" octagon barrel which is .937". Just opening up the inlet in the wood will not do it either because the wider barrel will displace the lock. Also, New Englanders use a different hammer shape so I just think "no way".

besides tryin' to inlet a "square-barrel" stock enough to put a larger diameter round barrel in it you'd also probably by then hafta make some kinda spacer to get the lock/hammer & nipple to line up and who knows what that would do to yer trigger geometry. i guess 'most anything is "possible" but is it worth it? for what it's worth and luck to ya friend, bubba.

now if ya wanted to put a pennsylvania hunter barrel on it you'd have smooth sailin'.

Different tang, round, tapered N/E barrel vs. straight octagonal Hawkin (including brass forend cap that would need to be reshaped to round barrel), likely different spot for barrel key.

Be easier to start with a stock blank.

Back