• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Seneca

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbbgood

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Now that I am getting up there in age weight is becoming an issue. I have been looking at the Seneca 45 cal. and have found a few for sale. In another fourm they said the Seneca would have to be loaded not as hot as the Hawken and the Renegade. So my question is, is it enough rifle or should I be looking at the Hawken or the Renegade. Eather way I will be getting a 45 cal. in the Hawken also. I just have a thing for the 45. Here in Missouri 100 yards is a long shot in the woods. And that is where I live. In the big timber woods in mid Missouri.

I checked the classifides and the 45 cal. listed with the owners manual is gone. I know that it has a smaller barrel than the hawken and a renigade but I'm pretty sure it would be safe with a load for dispatching a deer. Finding one at a reasonable price will prove to be a problem.

You could look up Thompson Centers phone Number and give them a call. If you run accross a .36 cal. let me know as my grandson needs one! Geo. T

The Seneca is a smaller frame muzzy.I have 2 in 45cal and kill deer with 50grs of powder.
The Hawken 45cal is a heavier gun and will handle heavier charges.
Both kill deer.No bad choice with either.

Remember a .45 Hawkenhas alot more barrel than a .54 so its heavier. Pedersoli has light rifles in .40,.45and.50
Nit Wit

I have not found the TC Seneca 45's to be as good a shooter as the 45's in a TC Hawken. The light Seneca is not recommended to be loaded like a Hawken either. The Seneca can split the stock with heavy loads. The Seneca is a better rifle in 32 or 36 caliber.

They will perform just fine on deer with 65 to 75 gr. of bp in .45 cal. Fine guns.
Downside, they may be too light for you. I have bum shoulders and find I cannot hold my wife's Seneca steady because it lacks enough weight to 'hang'. And, not being a modern rifle design, there is no weight between the hands either. It is like trying to aim a cane fishing pole.

You could get a tc Cherokee that's what my first was and it shoots like a dream and it is accurate and lightweight. Great guns

Back