• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC White mountain carbine rate of twist??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noreasthntr

32 Cal.
Reaction score
hey guy's I have a .50 cal. TC white mountain carbine and was wondering what the rate of twist is? and if anyone out there is shooting one what load and bullet type is working for you! thanks,...Bob.. :grin:

I saw somewhere that .50's are 1:38 and .54's are 1:48, but that a .50 without the QLA feature (to facilitate loading conicals at the muzzle) are 1:21. If you explore the TC website, they have information on twists of all their rifles including the WMC.

In my .50 I am shooting a 275 maxi hunter with 80 grains 2f and it is perfect to 50 yds. I shot it at 100 yds though and it was really low both shots. I need to increase the powder if I want to get that far accurately. I am working on a PRB load right now - .490 with JoAnn Fabrics ticking and a little - and I mean little -- bore butter or mink oil and I have added about 20 grs. cream of wheat and an over the powder wad behind 70 grs. It is OK, but I am not done with it.

I can increase the charge for the conical, but I think I need to drop the charge for the PRB and not expect it to be a long shooter in that regard.

I like the gun a lot. I have a TC peep on it that I am getting used to.

The 100 yd shots were about 6 inches low elevation wise, and right on in terms of windage. I will probably raise my rear sight so that POI is about 2 inches high at 50 and go up to 90 grains 2f to see if I can get that elevation up at 100 yds.

The first couple of years White Mountain .50 cals were 1-20 twist. I had a four digit ser# that was. Not sure exactly when but they switched to a 1-38 twist.

Thanks guy's mine is a a early one I think,5 digit serial # xx352 got it in the early 90's and have not shot it yet. we open here on Dec.5th hope I can get it dialed in in time!!...Bob

Is there a place to go to check you serial# and find out how old it is? I bought mine new years ago but can't remember the year.

Using .490 balls what thickness patch are ya using?

A call to T/C or email if they have that feature should get you the answer no problem.
[url] http://www.tcarms.com[/url]/

Last edited by a moderator:
Swamp Rat said:
A call to T/C or email if they have that feature should get you the answer no problem.
[url] http://www.tcarms.com/[/quote][/url]

I Did this yesterday to be sure, gave them the serial # and got a responce today mine is 1 in 38... thanks for the help guy's! now how about some loads tha have worked for you all??. ...Bob..

Last edited by a moderator:
I use 80 grains of FFF and a 295 grain Powerbelt. It is very accurate at 50 yards. I dont go much past that.

I've been usin 80gr of tripple seven, .012 cotton patch and Hornaby roundball. Of course I am always open to better loads.

With .490 balls I am using I think 15th thickness. I know it's thicker than 10th. I bought some ticking at a fabric store and washed it first. It still feels like a "loose" load. I don't use much lube and I may go to a thicker patch and/or ultimately to .495 when I run out of these.

FYI, you need to check the rate of twist yourself to be sure. Unfortunately the WMC was one of the models that they lost most of the info on after the fire and although I love T/C sometimes they give out the wrong twist rates for their discontinued guns. Use the old ramrod methode to check the twist rate. (It will probabally be 1:20 or 1:38)

These rifles seem to like heavy conicals and lighter powder loads. The Hornaday buffalo bullets shoot good out of them with 70-80gFF or RS.

80-90gFFF or Triple Se7en with a 250g+ saboted round.

Good luck!

Pittsburghunter said:
FYI, you need to check the rate of twist yourself to be sure. Unfortunately the WMC was one of the models that they lost most of the info on after the fire and although I love T/C sometimes they give out the wrong twist rates for their discontinued guns. Use the old ramrod methode to check the twist rate. (It will probabally be 1:20 or 1:38)

These rifles seem to like heavy conicals and lighter powder loads. The Hornaday buffalo bullets shoot good out of them with 70-80gFF or RS.

80-90gFFF or Triple Se7en with a 250g+ saboted round.

Good luck!
Thanks Pitt, you live in pittsburg? I grew up in N.H.(laconia) and used to rabbit hunt up there as a kid. haven't been up there in a LONG time though, my uncle has a camp up there still. real nice country... Bob..

LOL, I actually live in Laconia and have a camp in Pittsburg.

I grew up in Bristol.

That's my camp in my avitar.

OOOps I lied. Most of the loads I use in the WMC are with conicals. I think out of a Lee mold. I was thinkin of something else.

Ok what is the formula for checking your twist using the ramrod methiod?

thanks

That's new one on me, I keep learning new things everytime I get on this form. Thanks.
I have a T/C buckeye hunter and it is 1" shorter than the white mountain and T/C told me it has a 1-48 twist I just thought the white mountain would have a 1-48 also. :redface:

Regardless of the twist, you still need to put a load together. Start with 60-70 grains 2f and whatever projectiles you have and see how it shoots. Tinker from there.

To measure the twist put a tight fitting cleaning patch on jag and run it down the bore. mark your ramrod lined up on something like the front sight and then pull up until you go a quarter round the barrel measure the distance from your muzzle to the mark then just multiply that by 4. If it goes up 5" then you would have a 1:20, if it goes up 12" it would be a 1:48 so on..

Back