• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tent

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Charlie

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I just finished a diamond fly shelter. I used a painter's drop cloth and painted it with a 50/50 boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits. I set it up in the yard. I thought this will never repel water. Well last night we had rain and thunder storms. It did a pretty good job! the ground under neath it stayed dry. I will give it one more coat just in case.
I found the cloth straps I made for lines and pegs will not hold. I am going to try some made of leather.
Old Charlie

throw some japan dryer in with it to help it dry faster. did ya test it to see how easy it ignights? pretty flamable stuff. :redthumb:

Hey Charlie, before you go sewing leather to your fly, have you thought about using musket balls, round stones, or walnuts? That way you're not--pardon the pun--tied down to where your straps go. I leared this trick from No Deer a few years ago and have stuck with it ever since.

BTW No Deer, I credit you here for it only because Gawd Awmighty knows that you would surely remind me that yes, you showed me that trick, and if I didn't credit you, you'd whine about it...

Anyway, Charlie, just take a stone or whatever, wrap the corner of your sheet around it--just enough to make a little halloween ghost out of it--and then loop your rope around it, and stake it down or tie it up or whatever. I am sure that someone here has pictures that they can show you if my words make no sense...

Mark Baker does it in one of his Pioneering tapes too. He even goes a step further Stumblin he just folds the corner of the fly over in such a way that it'll hold the rope! He ties the rope around it and then to the tree or whatever!

Chuck

BTW No Deer, I credit you here for it only because Gawd Awmighty knows that you would surely remind me that yes, you showed me that trick, and if I didn't credit you, you'd whine about it...

I would not have said a thing. :huh:

Gee, where would you be if not for me? Who else would drag you off into the woods in the middle of winter?
:crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Oh if only I could take credit. I had read about it someplace before I showed you.

Hey, thanks for sharing the idea about folding the corner over and using that to tie on to in order to fasten the corner down! A nice "shooter" marble also works well too : )

Have a good week!

StrongWoman

Back