• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

terminology question: shooting vs possibile bags

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Egler

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a question on terminology.

I have two bags that I take out when day hunting. One is the bag I keep balls, wads, jags, shot and similar stuff just for shooting, and thus I call that my "shooting" bag.

I also carry a bigger bag with stuff like my traps (if I'm trapping) flint and steel kit, tinder horn, a towel, and in general all the things I might need except the stuff in my shooting bag. I call this my "possibiles" bag.

But it seems that some people would call my "shooting" bag a "possibiles" bag. What does everyone else call these two bags? Or do you carry all the stuff in one bag? (Seems that would be a big bag!) Is there a "correct", as in HC/PCterminology?

You're terminology is the historically correct one - the use of the term possibles bag for a shooting bag/pouch is historically incorrect - it is a modern (post 1970's) affectation.
Also the term possibles bag was not used until the 1830's and was used to denote a container for carrying ones personal goods i.e. clothing, etc.

now if that's how folks want to use the term today then so be it - but it is not the way it was used in the past.....

You got it right!

shooting pouch=rifle pouch....keeps the gun fring!

possibles=everything else....
food, drink, fire starter, snacks, cell phone, sharpening equip, rope, cup, ect.....things you might POSSIBLY need!

Last edited by a moderator:
You will also see the term, " Hunting Pouch", for Shooting pouch, or bag. Over time, terms began to be used for whatever the shooter was carrying. GAME POUCHES or GAME BAGs began to be used, because birds and rabbits were actually carried in these large bags, particularly in Europe. Then tend to be huge, indicating that they are far more comfortable if you are not crawling through the woods, and bramble with them. Stick to the open fields if you are carrying something that big.

Today, I know trappers who use back packs, and and pack baskets to carry game recovered from their traps, to their vehicles. That leaves their hands free, and keeps the weight on their upper shoulders, rather than around their necks.

The more experience you gain, the fewer things you drag along in those pouches, until you find yourself using a small belt bag,( or belt pouch) and the pockets in your outer coat to carry what you may need in the field. The only time I find I am using my usual range bag in the field is in the early Fall, when its too warm to wear a coat, or even a vest.

If I am going to be out all day, I have a day pack I carry with water, food, and rain gear in case the weather changes. I also have a first aid kit, and a survival kit to use if I am injured and can't get out on my own power.

Over the years, I have trimmed down the stuff I carry in that pack, too! Its amazing what you can do without when you gain the knowledge and skill to make do with what you have. As the weather grows colder, there are things I add to my daypack to provide warmth, and I carry more water or fluids, and snacks, but the basic contents remain unchanged from one season to the next.

I am not going to list the items in my survival kit, as I believe that its a bit off-topic here, and frankly, a survival kit is almost entirely dependent on where you are going to hunt. What works here in the Flatlands probably would not be my best choice if I were hunting in the Idaho Panhandle!

It's almost as bad as calling a Maxi ball "traditional" :shake:

I've also seen shooting bags called "hunting bags", "ball bags" and "shot pouches". The latter two we would now think of as just the small bags for balls or shot - which gives a clue as to how little might have been carried away from camp or cabin for a hunt.

"- which gives a clue as to how little might have been carried away from camp or cabin for a hunt."

it is sometimes surprising on how little you really need for a day hunt near camp, I have used a 4"x6" bag and a priming size horn which I carried in my weskit pocket, I could easily hunt for a day out of the pockets if there was a good water source along my route.

I would also add that depending upon one's choice of weapon, e.g. rifle or fowler and intended use thereof, the size of one's 'shooting bag' would be different. The 'riflemans' bag would be small (say 7 by 7)for a day hunt whereas the same hunter using a fowler may opt/need a shooting bag with larger dimensions (say 8 by 10) for carrying extra 'shot, wads, etc. IMHO the term 'pouch' to me means a small leather vessel used to carry extra ball ammo, extra shot, etc. that is either attached to ones hunting bag or carried within. It is also possible that the larger size bag was used for both rifle and fowler depending on the intended target for the day.
I also agree that the term 'possibles' bag is just that, whatever else one wants or needs to carry to be successful for that days hunt or longer trek. I'm thinkin (again can be dangerous) the term evolved from 'haversack', only made from leather.
Gary :thumbsup:

Claude said:
LaBonte and Brett,

Thank you. :applause:

One of my pet peeves is people calling a "shooting bag" a "possibles bag". :cursing:

Claude et al you are absolutely correct here. A few years ago I got tired of the misuse of the term "possibles bag" and did some intensive research and as one writer here said the date Ca.1830 is about right.The term originated with the mountain man/rondezvous period and locale and applied to an all purpose bag usually made of cloth {linen,canvas,hemp etc.}and in which the bearer carried a wide variety of items {extra clothing,food,leather scraps,etc.}You might say it was a civilian version of a military haversack.On the other hand I believe that the term "shot bag"was most commonly ised as a bag carried as an accoutrement for the gun whether rifle or smoothbore.

Yes claude, this term when applied to shot bags is one of my pet peeves too along with "hawk" for hatchet/axe tomahawk;belt axes and knives,{I'd love to see the documentation there},leg ties rather than the more historically authentic "garters",again where's the documentation?

I think all of this misuse of terminology began in the 1950's with the resurgence of black powder shooting, not to overlook Davey Crockett and Daniel Boone on the silver screen and television.There I said it and I will await the barbs and sling shots.
As always, I welcome responsible opoposing comment.
Tom Patton, unregenerated heretic
:bow: :v :thumbsup:

Back