• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Testing Bess.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Following a discussion in the smoothbore section I tested my Bess some more today.
The conclusion I have come to over this powder and shot greedy gun is it shall be best used in winter when the lack of cover will justify stuffing it with large doses of powder and shot!

B.

That's my reaction to my own Bess. While it functions well with less, it's a lot of gun to carry for small charges. It does better with large charges than my others, so why not relegate it to that roll.

BTW- My standard load is 1 5/8 oz of shot over 120 grains of Goex 1f, and prior to trying the 1f, 100 grains of 2f.

There are folks around putting that much shot and even more in 20 gauges, but they're clanking heads on standing turkeys, while mine is strictly for flying/running small game.

How much shot and powder could a turkey hunter load into the much larger Bess? Don't know, and don't want to know.

That's my reaction to my own Bess. While it functions well with less, it's a lot of gun to carry for small charges. It does better with large charges than my others, so why not relegate it to that roll.

Mine patterns well with 50 gr. I seldom go over 70. But I have only used for squirrels a few times. OTOH, to me it is mostest funnest gun to shoot thar is. Sadly, it is now a wall hanger since my ole tore up shoulders cannot hold it up anymore. :(

Back