• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Testing: Setting off BP with Static Electricity

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting, I have a Tesla coil that produces 50'000+ Volts, maybe I'll try to reproduce some of these experiments and see what results I get.

If static is not a problem, then why do powder companies safeguard against it?

Very cool... I love playing like that.
I have always assigned an ambient temperature to something I see as bright as being hot. In the example of the light bulb this would be true but it would seem the visable flow of electrons is not "hot" hence it does not ignite the powder.
Fascinating.
Of course the whole thing could have been done in photo shop and we all sign on tomorrow looking like those Bugs Bunny cartoons with our face and arms all black and smoldering, clothes all messed up, no hair on our arms and face.
Heh... pretty good trick....

This guy is allot more scientific than I, however, years ago I tried doing it with a 1000 volt Megger, 3000 volt Dielectric tester, auto coil, spark plug, lots of stuff. Finally with about 75 volts DC & a 20 amp arc you can light it off.

I think 75 volts and 20 amps is getting real close to a weak arc welder. 75X20=1500 watts and that much wattage can heat up a small area of metal real quick.
That might be what set it off.

"If static is not a problem, then why do powder companies safeguard against it?"
I suspect for the same reason that grain outfits and many industries that produce fine dust are cautious of static, many things when in dust form in confined areas are explosive is exposed to static Charges or heat. I would not want to tumble a can of BP untill there was a cloud of fine dust present in a small area then introduce a staic charge.

TG: You thoughts are precisely correct. It is the dust particles that accumulate in the air when they make it & sift it. These micro particles & the oxygen are VERY suseptable to a static charged ignition as they are micron dust particles & Bigtime Kablooey.

However, the main idea was to inform others of the wives tale of a static spark igniting it & etc. Gasoline in the mower in people basements & under their crawl spaces are much more dangerous than a few cans of BP. And a static spark WILL ignite gasoline fumes.

I am glad you posted that site I saw it some time back but did not flag it, the "static" setting off BP is one of those things that I get to the point that if I hear it one more time I'm gonna SCREAM!(VBG)

Latest posts

Back