• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Testing the Beretta.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The new cleaning regime involves leaving the nipples loose after cleaning and drying.
That allows me to load powder, wad. Right the gun, unscrew a nipple, especially the bottom barrel with its reputation for struggling with a long flash channel, and check for powder of which today it was there and there was no issue with ignition at shot #1 and from there on in.
Doing it thus guarantees the first shot works on the first try.

This squirrel was dead before it hit the deck.
20210409_180305.jpg

Next I loaded it with buck shot and took this rabbit.
20210409_190034.jpg

I enjoyed a good walk with Berti the Beretta today. Especially now he is behaving reliably.
'Til' next time.....

What you said is just the same has loading with the hammer down so instead of loosing the nipple try the hammer down It will work every time
Feltwad

What you said is just the same has loading with the hammer down so instead of loosing the nipple try the hammer down It will work every time
Feltwad
No sir, it dosnt. Also I don't know if powder got there for the bottom barrel but this way I know the first shot will go. Being honest the top barrel does not require the same approach.
I also can control where and how I remove the nipple.
I also cup with my hand under the locks to catch anything that may drop. I also find an ideal spot. I don't recommend it stood in water or a swamp. In fact I don't recommend it to no one, but its what I'll do with this gun.

On the long flash channel, have you tried compressed air after cleaning?

Also, do you stand the gun on the muzzle in storage?

manure runs down hill!

On the long flash channel, have you tried compressed air after cleaning?

Also, do you stand the gun on the muzzle in storage?

manure runs down hill!
No, I don't have a compressor.
I use boiled water so it all dries out via heat. I don't use oil for storage. I use beeswax and an olive oil grease.
It doesn't migrate once the barrels have cooled some. đź‘Ť

No sir, it dosnt.
Yes sir it does After almost a year in lock down and its part lifting this week I decided to try one of my pairs of berretta this afternoon although i prefer a sxs original on decoying pigeon and crows on spring barley drilling using a volume load of 2.3/4 drms of 3 fg to 1.1/8 oz of no 6 shot . Well the weather was cold but sunny with the odd snow shower, I finished with a bag of 45 birds all sporting and taken on the wing I must have fired in the excess of 50 shots but with NO MISFIRES this is due to my experience loading all types of percussion gun with the hammer down and my experience of shooting this type of gun .
Feltwad

Yes sir it does After almost a year in lock down and its part lifting this week I decided to try one of my pairs of berretta this afternoon although i prefer a sxs original on decoying pigeon and crows on spring barley drilling using a volume load of 2.3/4 drms of 3 fg to 1.1/8 oz of no 6 shot . Well the weather was cold but sunny with the odd snow shower, I finished with a bag of 45 birds all sporting and taken on the wing I must have fired in the excess of 50 shots but with NO MISFIRES this is due to my experience loading all types of percussion gun with the hammer down and my experience of shooting this type of gun .
Feltwad
I'm like many folk on here feltwad. I don't understand you!

I had no misfires on my last outing too. I also load with the hammers down and on the remains of the last cap. It though does not do what you describe! You say it creates a void. I am coming around to the thought that you don't really know what a void is!
Whether the hammer is down or not air will still rush out through the powder as wadding is rammed.
Only if the nipples orifice is wide enough so as to allow some powder to migrate to the end of the cap cone there will be an advantage. Maybe you have adjusted your nipples. That is nothing new to me as well however my nipples still have their original tiny orifice so no powder migrates.
My method though you disapprove is NOT wrong but just my way for now.
I apologise if my method irritates your imperial eminence but really, I really do not care because you certainly are no mentor as far as I am concerned.
Good evening.

Well you do not understand me the trouble is you do not want to understand because you know i am right so just carry on .
Feltwad

Please Gentlemen lets not fall out over a Misfire or Two. Beretta's have always had this fault.They can be cured with a few dental drills (diamond) and a small flexible shaft Mac-Hine.. :ghostly:

Please Gentlemen lets not fall out over a Misfire or Two. Beretta's have always had this fault.They can be cured with a few dental drills (diamond) and a small flexible shaft Mac-Hine.. :ghostly:
I'm not falling out. Its just my story of making my gun reliable, and I have. I have successfully completed the task.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Waiting to hear back from and old buddy. He had a O/U and had problems with the long passage not wanting to fire.

I think he went to a duplex load.

A shot of 4F, then his main load solved his problem.

Don't remember the amounts.

Waiting to hear back from and old buddy. He had a O/U and had problems with the long passage not wanting to fire.

I think he went to a duplex load.

A shot of 4F, then his main load solved his problem.

Don't remember the amounts.
Yes the finer grades flow a lot better.
Any gas leakage causes similar issues. Any oil residue the same.
I hope these threads help him out đź‘Ť

Back