• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thanksgiving turkey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Coming home from a trip to town, I saw five turkeys on a neighbor's property. I had planned to do some more longbow deer hunting this afternoon, but, the sighting changed my priorities.

We have a Fall either sex season going on now. I swabbed out the fowler and headed for the deepest hollow in the woods. Reason being, it's been windy today, and I mean blowing HARD! :shocked2:

I figured if they were in their right minds, the birds would seek shelter from the winds. I slowly hunted above the hollow, traveling its length slowly and sitting for several minutes at a time hoping to spot them. I was in no hurry and it felt great to be out with my smoothbore.

I called a bit as I went.

About an hour in, I spotted some black dots in the bottom. The harder I looked, the more they seemed to move a bit. Yep, targets acquired! :haha:

At this point I was on the back side of a narrow hog's-back ridge, still looking down into the main hollow. I called a bit when they were a hundred yards to my right. I don't think they could hear me above the gale. I sat back and watched them slowly work my way. There were 12-15 hens and poults as far as I could tell.

I slid down a little so the crest of the little ridge I was on hid me well and hit them with some hard cutting and yelping. That got 'em moving. :thumbsup:

As they were approaching, I took note of the terrain and decided to crawl on hands and knees, behind the little ridge to where it nearly melted into the big hollow. Hope was for a short shot. With all the noise from the wind, I made it easily to a small tree a few feet higher than the bottom, and peaked over. They were within 30 yards and feeding contentedly.I slid her long barrel over the crest and chose a clump of saplings as my "close enough" mark.

I had a fern in front of my bare face and smiled like a school boy as I watched them slowly feeding in front of me.

As things played out, I had a good shot or two at adult hens but just watched. I swear these turkeys nearly put me in a trance when they are so close and doing "their thing".

I wanted one of this year's birds. Never ate one, and thought it about time.

A young one walked just behind my marker to the left. Shortly she came toward me then to my right. She stopped with a thumb sized sapling covering her head and neck. Another step and a few seconds for a bird to clear behind her, the black English scraped the frizzen.

Is there a better way to spend a windy Autumn afternoon? :idunno:

Good luck to everybody with so many seasons just in front of us now!

Happy hunting, Skychief. :hatsoff:

:thumbsup: Nice! Many believe ya cant call turkeys in the fall, I'm glad you hadn't them and proved YOU CAN :grin:

Another trick you may need one day, if you bump the flock run around crazy and throw sticks and rocks and chase em like a hound! NOW circle way ahead of where most the flock took off two and sit and call. They will come, wanting to gather again in a flock. Used this method a few times

Good job, Skychief. It's great to see anyone get as much pleasure from a traditional hunt as you do from turkeys.

Skychief special load?

Spence

George said:
Good job, Skychief. It's great to see anyone get as much pleasure from a traditional hunt as you do from turkeys.

Skychief special load?

Spence

I really do love it Spence. Just feels "right" to me. It was such a relaxing hunt, even in the blustery conditions. A very nice break from bowhunting, which can nearly become work if one let's it. As you've written, Lord love a flintlock smoothbore. I'll add, Lord love the Wild Turkey, a really amazing animal. :thumbsup:

Yes, the Skychief Special was deployed this afternoon. :haha: She wilted quickly with a 25 yard shot. Quick and clean as we hope for.

I'm happy to see your post and hope all is well with you and yours. :hatsoff:

Don't be a stranger! :nono:

All the best, Skychief.

Congratulations sir. I wish we had a fall season here but alas we don’t. Some of the northern part of the state in the delta does. Hope to try it one day. Enjoyed your story sir.

Congrats Sky :thumbsup:

I just left out of Hoosier land again yesterday morning , it was a very cool and windy morning for sure.

So I knew it was time for this ol’ Redneck to make like the geese and head back South! LOL

It’s 32* here at the homestead this morning with a light frost,
the first of the Season.

Congrats again on a great story and a well executed hunt!

Enjoy your feast!

I love em’ double battered with milk,egg dip and rolled twice in flour then deep fried with just the right amount of salt & pepper!

Congratulations :bow: Skychief on a successful hunt and great narrative. I understand why you waited for the yearling, they are way more tender. My biggest bird weighed 28 pounds and was as tough as shoe leather. He was so old that his spurs were wore off to a nubbin and rounded off......robin

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back