• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The 24 commandments of muzzleloader hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
1. A deer killed with a lead ball you cast yourself seems like a much greater accomplishment than one killed with an identical ball that was store bought.

2. A wool mitten beats a Thinsulate / Gortex / Cordura glove all to hell for wiping your nose.

3. You can dress too warm or too hot, but never just right.

4. A sandwich of cold baloney and soggy bread tastes a lot better in the woods than in the kitchen.

5. Deer always appear downwind, no matter which direction the wind was blowing 2 minutes ago.

6. Deer never appear when you are still, but always when you are doing a bad impression of a "Hunter Bobblehead Doll".

7. Your chances of seeing a huge Buck are directly proportional to the distance away from your rifle when taking a leak.

8. Most bucks you see will not offer you a shot.

9. You only shoot a deer when they make a mistake.

10. Deer seldom make mistakes.

11. A field dressed deer at the end of a drag rope weighs more than it did live on the hoof.

12. Finding that you have put one of your three layers of long johns on backwards is not nearly as funny in the woods as it is telling about it back at camp.

13. The does you passed up on the first days of the season will not re-appear when you want to shoot one later in the season.

14. If you don't have a doe tag, you will see lots of does, if you do have doe tags, the amount of does you see will be in an inverse proportion to the number of tags you have.

15. Nothing is waterproof if it rains long enough.

16. A four wheel drive vehicle will only get you stuck worse, farther from help.

17. If you don't set your knife on your wad of toilet paper, the wind will blow it away just before you reach for it.

18. There's no such thing as a secret hunting spot.

19. Slicing your finger while gutting a deer doesn't seem to hurt much.

20. "Next year, I mean it this time, I'm going to have everything packed and ready before the night before the season opens".

21. The fun does NOT stop when you pull the trigger. You ever see a hunter wearing a frown while dragging out a deer?

22. You can practice all you want, but you can't practice buck fever.

23. Your rifle somehow gains weight the farther you walk.

24. No matter how much you plead and pray, you cannot turn back time to re-do that bad shot you made 20 seconds ago.

No matter how many days you hunt one spot the day you don't return your neighbor will kill a 225# dressed-out monster buck in that spot.

This one happened to me this week. 200 yards from my back door. :( :( :( I walked through this brush coming and going every day to the spot 1/2 mile away where I was choosing to sit.

Pictures as soon as my neighbor dares show his face while I have something at hand available to throw.

No. He was on the opposite side of a common logging road that runs down the line. He actually lives a mile down the road now and used to own the house next to ours. He has my permission to hunt my land, anyway (and vice-versa). Most of us hereabouts have open borders for the neighbors. No foul - other than he was a bit close to the houses. I'm happy for him, just mighty damn jealous!

All are so true!! Obviously from experience. I especially like # 17. Been there done that. :shocked2: Very good!!!!! :rotf:

Very Nice!

Your list made me snort my coffee.

I will offer these for your consideration.

1)You never notice the smoke from your gun produces until you try to see which way the deer ran.

2) A shot deer NEVER runs towards your parked vehicle.

3) when you sit on a patch of leaves they will be invariably floating in a puddle.

4) All bowel movments happen at day break. :shocked2:

PGTMG said:
Very Nice!

Your list made me snort my coffee.

I will offer these for your consideration.

1)You never notice the smoke from your gun produces until you try to see which way the deer ran.

3) when you sit on a patch of leaves they will be invariably floating in a puddle.

4) All bowel movments happen at day break.

I'll make some additions to the master list :wink:

PGTMG said:

Sub-Commandment "A"
The shot deer usually falls down a gully or some icy creek bed requiring vertical lifting.
:rotf:

Never carry doe urine and nasal spray in the same pocket.

Deer know what the shape of human foot prints look like.

As a rule, the clouds will break and the sun will reflect off your brass hardware of your muzzleloader just when you are about to shoot.

Grouse flushing causes high blood pressure.

Not everyone's hunting ethics are created equal.

Musketman said:

MM,
For the benefit of the several thousand new members since your story was last told I think you should explain how you know this.

:rotf:

HD

Huntin Dawg said:
Musketman said:
MM,
For the benefit of the several thousand new members since your story was last told I think you should explain how you know this.
:rotf: HD

I was hunting deer with a sinus cold (early 1980's), my nose was plugged solid and I reached into my pocket without looking to grab my bottle of nasal spray to get some relief.

Unbeknownst to me (remember, I didn't look), I grabbed my spray bottle of Doe-In-Heat buck lure by mistake and sprayed a healthy squirt of it up my nose. Let me tell you this, there is nothing that will get your attention faster the burning sensation of 100% deer estrogen and urine on an enflamed nasal passage.

I was shoving snow up my nose trying to dilute it, my eyes swelled shut and my brothers had to walk me out of the woods, laughing hysterically all the way.

Now I am worried. If TWO Guys on this forum put doe urine up their noses, I may have to rethink this game... :shocked2:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Just a whiff will get yer attention. A full squirt directly up the nostril likely woulda kilt a lesser man.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Back