• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The .62cal "Settler" tagged a Doe this afternoon...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
“The Settler”, my new .62cal Early Virginia smoothbore, put down a Doe just before dark this afternoon...and the 5th deer I've delivered to that needy family out near where I hunt.

I had tried to walk up a squirrel yesterday afternoon with some #5s...only saw one and so many leaves have come off the trees I couldn’t get close enough...tried again this afternoon and didn’t even see any. Anticipating that repeat I had paced my still hunting and route so I’d work around to a good spot to sit for deer by 4:00pm. When I got there, I pulled the OS card and dumped (saved) the shot charge, pulled the 2 Oxyoke wads, poured in an additional 30grns Goex 2F I’d taken with me to get the powder charge up for my round ball load, seated a patched ball, and sat down.

Started sprinkling but I had rain gear and the Flintlock’s rain cover so I got all that on, then waited to see if anything would show. Sat there for a little over an hour, refreshed the prime a couple times, and just before it was too dark to see I saw a lone Doe picking her way through the trees and when she crossed in front I put the ball through the boiler room right at 50 yards...the Flintlock didn’t even hesitate. The bright flash plus the smoke in that low light made it impossible to see for a bit and I didn’t even know if I’d killed her, but I figured she’d swap ends and try to sprint back the way she’d come regardless.

By the time I cleaned the Flintlock it was pitch black, walked over to where she’d been coming through, found where the leaves had been lurched up a bit and in just a couple body lengths saw where blood was just pouring out. I just walked along upright with my headlamp on following the heavy trail that a blind man could have seen”¦she only made it about 30 yards before piling up. The ball had gone in broadside just missing the right elbow, through the heart, out the other side and through her far elbow.

What great flexibility to be able to hunt small game with a Flintlock for a while using a shot charge, then pull the shot charge, reload with a PRB and start deer hunting...sure makes the case that if I was only allowed to have one muzzleloader for all my hunting...turkey, doves, squirrels, rabbits, deer, crows, etc...this would be the one...a .62cal Full Jug Choked Early Virginia smoothbore Flintlock...this one is beautiful, accurate, and versatile for sure.

:thumbsup:

Congratulations on another deer. I like the name of your rifle. How did you settle on it?

Based on things I've read, a smoothbore supposedly became more and more popular over time as the primary gun the settlers used...and as I was thinking about names one day it just clicked...decided I'd call it "The Settler".
:)

I'm wondering how it would shoot if you just left the base wads in place after dumping the shot. That's not a critical observation, rather I'm thinking along the same lines about changing from shot to ball, but in more of a hurry here in bear country.

I've hypothesized before about merely pushing a patched ball right down on top of the shot charge, but I haven't got around to trying it.

After my hunting pard had a surprise encounter with fuzzy wuzzy on our last rabbit hunt (him with a 22rf and me with a 62 smoothbore), the question jumped to the front of my mind all of a sudden. Call it idle thinking while standing back to back in the brush watching for bear. :grin:

If my thinking is right, I could carry a loading block with undersize ball and patch, and ram one home quickly without resorting to a short starter if needed suddenly. :shocked2:

Congrats on the fifth deer and good for you to donate Meat to those who need it. I admire that practice of versitility I love my longbow because I can carry judo points for small game and broad heads for deer, turkey and varmants. I am so trying to get my smootbore up and running I just fear that I will abandon all my other guns. As far as brown bear I watched Grizzly Bears in Glacier NTL park they tear apart big logs like me peeling an orange. I know "bear safety" and all I am all for traditional equipment but I am thinking more modern in that case. I know Pecatonica River sells a cut down version of a trade gun called Blanket Gun that says "spare for bear" in flintlock.

BrownBear said:
I'm wondering how it would shoot if you just left the base wads in place after dumping the shot. That's not a critical observation, rather I'm thinking along the same lines about changing from shot to ball, but in more of a hurry here in bear country.
I don't know why it wouldn't shoot fine for the circumstances you mentioned, probably a shorter distance than I might encounter deer hunting.
(But a .44mag from a shoulder holster would be much faster and have 6 shots :wink: )

In my case, having learned that an Oxyoke OP wad in my GM smoothbores caused occasional fliers at 50yds, I stopped using them with PRBs in smoothbores all together for fear of a 6" flier that could cause a miss or worse, a wounded deer.

In my squirrel to deer change over hunting situation, time was not a major factor and since I already had the ball puller on the rod from removing the OS card, I just poured the shot out of the barrel into a small bag, then pulled the wads and dropped them into the bag too.
Then I have the confidence of knowing I'm using my normal .62cal PRB load.

Makes sense. Thanks. Sounds like I need to put in some range time to discover what works best.

As for the 44, that's probably best but I've been trying to avoid it. The things are heavy and bulky to carry, and going months or years without hassles, it's sure easy to quit carrying them. Don't I know about that! :rotf:

Back