• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The bucks are getting careless here...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
It's that very special time of year when one starts seeing whitetail bucks letting their guard down in the daylight.

I'm writing this from the Hoosier state and am curious to know how they are behaving in your neck of the woods.

Good luck to those here which are after them. Best of luck with a bang or a twang, whichever applies. :haha:

Best regards, Skychief

They’re still in summer patterns here in south Mississippi. Finished cutting all the beans last week so they’re mainly around the white oaks. We’ll plant wheat before to long and they’ll be on it pretty good our rut really doesn’t get going until the end of the year and January.

In these parts the bucks are 'playing their reindeer games' in a particularly bold manner this season. Rarely see see horns around the barns or on the lawn areas, but for the past three weeks or so bucks could be seen stalking does and sparing at just about any time, and in any direction. Typically browse fed, most of the locals appear young, carrying modest 6 and 7 point racks. One however, very stout in body with ten points above, has the thickest main beams I've seen in many years. Hope he stays on.

McDonald said:
They’re still in summer patterns here in south Mississippi. Finished cutting all the beans last week so they’re mainly around the white oaks. We’ll plant wheat before to long and they’ll be on it pretty good our rut really doesn’t get going until the end of the year and January.

Bout the same here in N.W.Bama. Our bucks dont get stupid till late Dec an all the way thru Jan. Most of our biggest bucks lose their live in mid Jan

A young friend of mine who uses trail cameras says buck movement is picking up where we hunt in central Kentucky. Several previously unseen boys have shown up in the past week or so. In broad daylight, so that's a noted shift in what he's been seeing.

A couple of weeks ago they were still running in bachelor groups.

The are duking it out now and splitting up. I got this trail cam picture of a couple of bucks fighting a week ago. No chasing going on yet, much too early for that in N Alabama.

4ewZWxV.jpg

Funny, I was just talking to my Nephew in Colorado and he said the Mule deer bucks were chasing does there the last few days.

I was commenting to him that I thought it was a mite early. I seem to remember them rutting later in December in New Mexico back when I was there.

Curious the effects where Whitetails and Mule deer overlap.

Times are a changin'

Got a call this morning from a buddy of mine. He's seen lots of rut sign and had just gotten a doe with his older Bear Grizzly. It's bow only season here in Kansass this time of year though...

Missed a reckless 10 point yesterday with my bow. He was chasing an unreceptive doe. Stopped 30 yards out broadside and I shot over him. Still kicking myself. :cursing: :idunno:

Dave

It's time for them to start here but haven't seen much in the way of scrapes or daytime buck activity.

They imported deer from so many places years ago that there are about 6 or 8 different rut times in the state depending on where you go.

I read that last week in Minnesota, a deer lost it's life when it tangled with a sheriff's cruise doing 114 mph on the way to a man with a gun at a restaurant call. The cruiser was totaled (surprise!) and I don't know if they found any pieces of the deer or if it turned into a red fog.

I’m 35 miles as the crow flies South of the Kentucky line.

First scrapes appeared at the first of this week.

By the end of this coming week it should be on!

If not before!

trent/OH said:
I read that last week in Minnesota, a deer lost it's life when it tangled with a sheriff's cruise doing 114 mph on the way to a man with a gun at a restaurant call. The cruiser was totaled (surprise!) and I don't know if they found any pieces of the deer or if it turned into a red fog.

My younger brother hit a deer in Wisc. on his Kawasaki bike doing 85 mph when he was in high school. The only thing that saved him was it was winter and very cold so he had on a full face shield helmet and lots of layers of clothes. He slid almost 1/4 mile on the icy road and the helmet was worn through. He spent the night in the hospital and was discharged the next morning. The bike was totaled of course.

Seen a buck with a couple does, this week, but it's a little early, here in Virginia, for the rut.

Cooler temps. has them moving, but we are in a rainy spell and that makes the hunting miserable.

I've been seeing a lot of deer, so it should be easy picking, when the weather settles down.

Back