• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The calm before the storm...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What a beautiful night to hunt tonight. Was one of those rare grey overcast nights with no wind and mid 40's temps. Eerily quiet, in fact I never saw one of the many grey squirrels out and about tonight near one of my favorite haunts. But it's the kind I like, with a storm hitting us the next couple of days, they have to be moving early tonight. I found my self a little to warm and comfortable out there tonight too as my eyes started to grow to heavy. I could have easily taken a nap!

Then I heard something walking and I snapped out of my almost nodding off mode and scanned the woods ahead of me and to the left. I didn't see anything at first and quietly did a hunters cock on my fowler of which I decided to use even though we are able to for the first time use our muzzleloader rifles during our shotgun season this year. Besides, RC said it would get jealous if I didn't use it once this year...

It didn't take long before I saw the button buck appear and walk down a path that took him about 40 yards from me. Then his sister appeared slowly in tow. At this point I slipped off my hammer stall and focused on the area beyond her. As I did this I glanced at my watch and it said 4:01, nice plenty of time. I just might make meat tonight.

I think it took a good 5 minutes before I saw movement again and saw Momma nervously and slowly come into view bringing up the rear of the trio. What a beautiful animal. She had nothing to fear from me tonight. Being the resident Doe of this little area, she has calved quite a few fawns here with my blessing. I'm after a satellite Doe, one that over laps her area from time to time and is actually bigger and older. She had no fawns with her this year for reasons unknown. Lost to coyotes, fishercats or maybe barren, who knows. I have seen her with twin Does from last year and have been trying for a shot at her since Oct, with no luck....

I had seen both family groups come together the past week or so and remained hopeful the old gal would show but time ran out with her a no show. Thats ok, I have to admit I was smiling and running over and over the pictures I committed to memory tonight on my way back to the house. :thumbsup:

great story! great hunt! wish i was there! my season is over today......it sucked,,,but yer stories are great! (glad ya let her walk! good breeder! :thumbsup: )

:hatsoff: That's beautifelly told. For me, just
getting out in nature is the dinner, game is the dessert|

:applause: :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Jac S. Muell

Swamp Rat said:
:rotf: :surrender: Oh my god RC that big 6 point just walked passed my camera setup. Guess the jokes on me tonight.

I think it's time that RC came clean and fessed up...he shot that 6 pointer 3 years ago and what you've been seein' on your camera system all these times is a pre-recorded tape loop that RC just reruns every now and then to mess with your head :grin:

i tried that... :redface: must be technological error,,,,,,the tape has a flaw :shocked2: (duct tape don't fix everythin! :cursing: ) but when i try to loop it the dam deer is walkin backwards! :cursing:

Hi Swampy!

Good story! What is a fishercat? Kind of Otter?

Regards

Kirrmeister

Thanks for the info.

looks more like a Marder. Here in Germany we have Stonemarders and Treemarders.

Regards

Kirrmeister

I filled my doe tag two days into the season and for the next three weeks I kept crossing paths with one large doe and her yearling (out of spots but still a "roundhead"). I took "coop" on her three seperate days by getting the rifle up and on target with a good 20 to 30 yard shot window. Deer catch & release. I also noticed many of their paths where a single coyote had been following along - though I never spotted him even when I did see them.

I think I'm going to go back now and see if I can't do a few coyotectomies in the local woods.

Well tonight was almost a repeat of last night. All the snow we got over night was washed away by rain. Turned out to be another quiet no wind night, heavy moisture in the air and droplets falling from the trees but that was it. Again I never saw a squirrel while out there.

The twins with the button buck in front came by like they did last night at 4:05. I never did see their mother but I'm sure she was there somewhere. At 4:40 the big Does twin Does from last year came by me on the same trail but with 5 minutes shooting time left, I didn't see their mother.

I just got my new Stumblin Wolf made map horn in the mail today. Incredible the detail he put into it. :bow: This shot shows where I have been sitting, my favorite ambush site. He marked my hunting stands with little deer and you can see the trail I watch against the little brook. :thumbsup:

NEmaphorn1.jpg

That Horn came out nice. :bow:
Big snow coming Friday Swampy. The critters might be chowing down Tomorrow afternoon.

Stumpkiller said:
I think I'm going to go back now and see if I can't do a few coyotectomies in the local woods.

I have till Tuesday for deer. Then after the Holidays (probably even New Year's day) I'll start up for those too.

According to the weather idiots we're supposed to get one to three inches of snow for Saturday. I will be out in full force all day long hunting in the Bay State.

I was going to go out hunting after work but it was pretty miserable and I needed to do some last minute shopping for Christmas. Now that is done I will devote 100% of my free time to hunting.

Back