• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The catalogue of errors hunt!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Some one switched my head for a turnip this weekend!
Yesterday when I got out it decided to open the floodgates of the heavens on me!
I spent most the time sheltering.
I never did get a shot and boy am I glad!
On the way home I noticed I had plugged the barrel with earth :doh:
How I did it I have no idea!

Today it got better! The turnip still was not working!

After getting this squirrel.

I sent my wads down without powder first :doh:
Talk about dumb!

I had to tare the gun down, remove the liner and get some powder in the breech to shoot the wadding out!

Hooray for screwed liners and patent breeches. :thumbsup:

That done I still came home empty handed but I do still have all my fingers and I succeeded in keeping this gun shooting in the field :grin:

So there you have it, a turnip brain can use muzzleloaders!

B.

Britsmoothy said:
Some one switched my head for a turnip this weekend!
Yesterday when I got out it decided to open the floodgates of the heavens on me!
I spent most the time sheltering.
I never did get a shot and boy am I glad!
On the way home I noticed I had plugged the barrel with earth :doh:
How I did it I have no idea!

Today it got better! The turnip still was not working!

After getting this squirrel.

I sent my wads down without powder first :doh:
Talk about dumb!

I had to tare the gun down, remove the liner and get some powder in the breech to shoot the wadding out!

Hooray for screwed liners and patent breeches. :thumbsup:

That done I still came home empty handed but I do still have all my fingers and I succeeded in keeping this gun shooting in the field :grin:

So there you have it, a turnip brain can use muzzleloaders!

B.

Sean Gadhar said:
ok that was 3 we all know it comes in 3s get a good nights sleep and you are done with it.

haha. That sounds like good advice. :thumbsup: We've all been there.

Britsmoothy said:
This is getting worse, this has to be dementia setting in!

Sorry guys :doh:

B.

Too funny Brit' :rotf:

I don't know about across the pond, but here, we call it CRS syndrome. :haha:

Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you are unharmed, truly. :thumbsup:

Best regards, Skychief

I remember Pogo the possum's famous remark, "We have met the enemy, and he is us". Dry balling is a form of CRS, (can't remember stuff). I cleaned that up for the moderator(s). Jess sure looks interested in that squirrel.......robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Only one "error" with my ML as I really haven't hunted much with one.

It was a controlled September hunt at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory in Greenbank, WV (which is very, very fun and a beautiful place if you ever get the chance to go there).

I had opted for the ML over a shotgun with slugs as I really prefer the ML. I had gone into the wooded area, to the same spot I had killed a spike buck the year before ("antlerless as those were just 3".)

As soon as the bowhunters hit the fields, they ran the deer into the woods. Here came two MASSIVE bucks but it was a doe-only hunt....I took aim at a large doe as she passed and dropped the hammer.

"Pop" went the cap but a hangfire. I failed to follow through on her and when the weapon fired, I missed. SUCH A NOOB MISTAKE!

She was an amazing animal though...she let the other deer pass and stood at the edge of a thicket just a few yards away, grunting and stamping her foot. I stood motionless and thought "there is no way she'll let me reload."

I began the reload! Moving super slowly, I got the butt down, I poured in a powder load from a medicine bottle, over the muzzle went the patch and round ball, I got out the starter and got it started (both lengths) but when removing the ram rod, she bolted. Alas.

A few hours later I had moved to the neighboring ridge but gotten lazy and sat on a fallen log. I heard something behind me. I thought "IDIOT! GOT LAZY DID YOU?"

Once again I moved super slowly, standing and turning in literally minutes. Behind me was a deer but it moved to where I had a shot at the shoulder but could not see the head. Was it a doe? Was it a buck? It was a small deer, so if it was a buck the antlers might be short enough to pass the DNR officer in the parking lot as "antlerless."

*As you can guess, it was less than 7 yards away!

I aimed at the shoulder and cocked the hammer.

I decided however that a "sportsman always knows his target" so I yelled, "get out of here!" and the deer bolted, jumped over a fallen tree, and was gone. I never saw its head.

When I unloaded my rifle into the creek at the end of the day, it went off perfectly, no hangfire at all.

My friend on the hunt (he had an inline but saw nothing) said when he heard the hangfire "I figured that was you!" :haha:

Back