• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Crossen Cartridge Former

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting... Do some find this really beats loading extra cylinders at home or just loading powder and ball at the range? Are you saving time or is this just a novelty?

It's sure is a beauty - and if I was a gentleman pistolero I sure would want one :ghostly: :ghostly::ThankYou:

Lots of things out of stock on his website. But I have emailed him as I assume he will have them again. Best part is he is local. I can drive up, pay hyim and bring the goodies home!
Hawkeye is right: A work of art! The thing is beautiful.

Interesting... Do some find this really beats loading extra cylinders at home or just loading powder and ball at the range? Are you saving time or is this just a novelty?
You can make cartridges when you aren't going to be shooting, like when the weather's bad or it's dark out. Extra cylinders cost$$$$, paper costs $ and can be stockpiled for later shooting. That being said, most of these forming kits are overly elaborate

I like the way the bullets look. Nice and neat.

But looking at the gizmo I am stuck thinking there will be a learning curve to get them that nice.

I can make up a bunch of paper cartridges by hand in less than an hour. Make more than I will shoot in a day. Just need a wooden dowel as my only extra tool, and I got them for a few calibers.
I could see how this would have been (back in the 1850's-70's) a neat way for a shop keeper to make well made cartridges available to clients. Just sit and make them up during dead time between clients. A little late to the game. :)

I'm kinda like you on this paper cartridge maker. It is a work of art as ZUG said but too expensive for me.. My favored way of making paper cartridges is using the kit that the guy at Guns of the West sells at the link below. I can make paper cartridges fast with his kit.

https://gunsoftheweststore.com/collections/complete-paper-cartridge-kits

I'm kinda like you on this paper cartridge maker. It is a work of art as ZUG said but too expensive for me.. My favored way of making paper cartridges is using the kit that the guy at Guns of the West sells at the link below. I can make paper cartridges fast with his kit.

https://gunsoftheweststore.com/collections/complete-paper-cartridge-kits
Well, I suggest you check out these Paper Cartridge Kits. They are far superior, allowing you to make cartridges much faster. They also offer a variety of calibers, ranging from .31 to 0.69: Paper Cartridge Former .44

Yes, definitely saves time at the range. That time saved is used during other time to make the cartridges. It's kind of a wash, but for those that enjoy it, we don't do it for a savings, it's a hobby within a hobby, like making your own fishing tackle or archery equipment. 👍

Yes, definitely saves time at the range. That time saved is used during other time to make the cartridges. It's kind of a wash, but for those that enjoy it, we don't do it for a savings, it's a hobby within a hobby, like making your own fishing tackle or archery equipment. 👍
As a hobby, I would like to improve my loading speed and efficiency. I enjoy making cartridges with quality tools. Of course, you can do it with just a wooden stick and whatever you have in your garage, but I prefer to use tools, like many other shooters do. As I said, this 0.58 caliber paper cartridge former is the best I have tried yet.

I don't make traditional style cartridges, but the bottom line is that they're FAST. These don't take long and shoot well. I carved the formers from maple tree in my yard.

Attachments

• IMG_20230309_153848_02.jpg
    IMG_20230309_153848_02.jpg
    508.1 KB
  • IMG_20230113_124430.jpg
    IMG_20230113_124430.jpg
    3.2 MB
I don't make traditional style cartridges, but the bottom line is that they're FAST. These don't take long and shoot well. I carved the formers from maple tree in my yard.
Not bad at all for a wooden stick, but in my humble opinion, they just aren't as accurate as what I can create with my tools.

I agree, but I'm after streamlining the loading process, not historical accuracy. The p.c. ones are sharp looking, but I'm going to shoot them so I don't get too caught up in looks, only performance.
I do have to give you credit for taking the time to make the historical ones, they're a bit of work. 👍

I agree, but I'm after streamlining the loading process, not historical accuracy. The p.c. ones are sharp looking, but I'm going to shoot them so I don't get too caught up in looks, only performance.
I do have to give you credit for taking the time to make the historical ones, they're a bit of work. 👍
I don't make traditional-style cartridges either. My point is that I am able to make cartridges quickly simply because I have the right tools for the job. Of course, if you don't mind spending more time making paper cartridges and you want to be 100% self-reliant, that's fine. But I bet that I can make 2 cartridges in the time it takes you to make just one.

If we were close, I would say, LET'S RACE!😁 Mine are actually pretty fast, but they aren't as nice as yours that are made with loading tools. That's ok cause I'm going to light them on fire.
I do like the looks of the traditional cartridges though, they're pretty nice. Keep the pics coming, folks, I don't watch much tv, this is my kind of entertainment

Back