• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Devil Was On My Shoulder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
So again yesterday, the squirrels were thick-as-thieves in the woods, while I was of course trying to bag a deer. I thought (and it must have been a tiny demon perched upon my shoulder, whispering in my ear),

"If you had your .22 LR single shot with you..., you could easily pot several of those squirrels, and probably not ruin your deer hunt, as it's pretty quiet compared to your flinter...."

EGAD! Get Thee Behind me, SATAN! To suggest that I use a modern firearm during ML season, though not illegal per se ..., just dumb!

For I know that if I was to do that..., the minute I touched off the .22, that big buck or that nice fat doe that had been lounging in the brush less than 50 yards from me that I could not see..., would get up and run..., and which I would have harvested IF I had merely been patient.
:doh:

So, I shall continue to resist, and shall merely return with either the trade gun or with Patience, my .40 caliber flinter. At one point yesterday, I turned 360 degrees and counted eight active gray squirrels that I could see..., which of course means there are more than that out there. :shocked2:

Should be a good squirrel hunt the Monday before Halloween, the first hunting day after early ML season closes. :wink:

LD

O C'mon! Be real here, most of us are veterans. You dont REALLY think they will still be there Monday? Leave yer 40 and take yer camera, we wanna see the DEER pics! :rotf:

For many a year in more southerly terrain, deer season and squirrel season occurred together. This was modern cartridge arms, but I solved the problem by carrying a 38sp target revolver with greatly reduced loads. Deer never seemed to mind and I got plenty of those with squirrels already in my pack. The handgun loads were so light I could see the bullet in flight when the light was right, yet they slapped the snot out of squirrels. In fact the loads were so quiet, hunting partners were usually surprised when I showed up at the end of the day with squirrels in my pack. They never heard a shot and they were just over a low ridge.

Seems like it would be pretty straight forward to do the same with a ML pistol.

Interesting. I use to hunt squirrels with a .38spl loaded with standard HBWC ammo; reloads I made. With my good, youthful eyes I had no trouble making head shots. The 148 grain slug did less damage than standard velocity .22LR.

My recommendation is to carry a squirrel flintlock along with the deer gun. You pays yer muny and takes yer chances that way. But it should work. :thumbsup: :idunno:

HA,HA!! Funny how things work out. Our archery season is open and deer huntin has been real sloooowww........but tree rats everywhere. This afternoon I left the longbow at home and fed my smoothy some 5 shot for what I thought would be a sure fire squirrel dinner....they had other plans, never saw a one.

When I was younger and had better vision I would shoot the heads of squirrels while deer hunting with a ml. Those days sad to say are gone just deer now ( no heads) :rotf: Dan.

I managed to get a few days in the Virginia woods to do some pre-season deer scouting. The bucks were just starting to rub and scrape. Squirrels were plentiful, but small, so the flintlock was in hand for a chance opportunity with a coyote. I need a .32 or .36 flintlock... :hmm:

Well ....I suppose I could bring the single-action Ruger .22 revolver OR maybe tote the .40 flinter along with a squirrel load as well as carry the .54. It's legal for deer here but I'd only have a half charge of powder for squirrels.

LD

Loyalist Dave said:
Well ....I suppose I could bring the single-action Ruger .22 revolver OR maybe tote the .40 flinter along with a squirrel load as well as carry the .54. It's legal for deer here but I'd only have a half charge of powder for squirrels.

LD

Recurve? nice and quite, bit of a pain to pack in with arrows and all.

Back