• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Dreaded MisFire Saves a Tom's Life

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddmoore79

32 Cal.
Reaction score
So my dad and I were turkey hunting this past week and I had a big tom fired up. We snuck to within 100 yards or so. I did some softs clucks and purrs and he went crazy and headed our way fast. When he got to about 25 yards I heard the two worst back-to-back sounds in the world when my dad took the shot, the sound of only a cap going off followed by the sound of feathers flapping as the bird flew off.

What steps do you guys take to help prevent this from happening? I've noticed before that when I left my gun loaded for a few days during turkey season it has mis-fired before as well. How often should a person leave his gun loaded during the turkey season before shooting it and re-loading it?

I dont know how you clean, load so I cant say what is happening with your firearm. I never have a problem with mine going off an I have left them loaded until I get a shot an that has been nearly all season deer hunting an as much as two weeks during turkey season. I make sure all oil and moisture is gone after I clean them an make sure no moisture gets to the charge while hunting or stored. Once you develope a good method for this you should not have any problem. Sorry bout yalls bad luck though :hatsoff:

toddmoore79 said:
What steps do you guys take to help prevent this from happening?
Assuming he popped a couple caps to ensure the fire channel was clear and dry before loading powder, and the powder was good and the nipple was good and the cap was good...dunno.
But if it's because you / he left your MLs loaded that's more than likely the problem.
This is one of those areas where everybody swears it's OK to leave a ML loaded...UNTIL...they finally have exactly the problem you described...and of course it's always when drawing down on a good buck or a longbeard, etc.

But I'll answer your question with my approach:
1) I always pull my load after a day’s hunt, wipe the bore clean / dry / relube it;
2) I always load fresh for the next hunt in a clean cold barrel;
And I have never had the problem you or your Dad have had as you described them, doing what I do.

IMO, trying to save 90 seconds and a penny's worth of powder results in people being in two categories:
A) Those who have had ignition problems just at the crucial moment after leaving it loaded;
B) Those who will;

The choices are simple...either keep a bore clean & dry between hunts and load fresh each time...or roll the dice and take your chances. Others mileage will obviously vary (they're in category B...LOL)

:thumbsup:

Lousy luck, for sure. I save the lives of toms every time I go out; never get the chance to drop a flint on one. :cursing:

Back