• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Eighteenth Century and Extraterrestrials

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Conner

40 Cal
Reaction score
One doesn't realize how advanced our forefathers had become, our forefathers had many thoughts about other things besides just weapons and survival in earlier times.

Here's some interesting thoughts provided by an old friend - Peter Goebel of Goose Bay Workshops. Read this, its interesting how far we had come, even in the Eighteenth Century.

The Eighteenth Century and Extraterrestrials

During the eighteenth century, people who viewed the moon through their telescopes saw mountains and valleys similar to those on Earth. This led them to think: if life could be found on Earth, why couldn’t it exist on the other planets in the solar system? “These similarities (between Earth’s terrain and the moon’s) leave us no room to doubt, but that all the planets and moons in the system are designed as commodius habitations for creatures” the authors of the 1771 Encyclopedia Brittanica, Vol. 1, wrote.

The Encyclopedia’s authors understood the moon to have no atmosphere nor seas, yet they still did not doubt the presence of life there. Although they made few claims as to what life on the moon might be like, the authors assumed that, if Earth’s people were watching the moon and wondering about its inhabitants, those who lived on the moon (‘lunarians’) were watching them back with the same wondering eyes. They wrote that, through watching the Earth, lunarians could use it as a sort of clock by noting the speed at which its landmasses revolved. So, “her inhabitants (lunarians) are not destitute of means for ascertaining the length of their year, though their method and ours must differ.”

The authors believed Jupiter and Saturn to be inhabited as well. They wrote that, in order to have seen the Earth, the inhabitants of these planets must have much better eyesight than Earth dwellers, or at least have technologically equivalent telescopes. Although Jupiter and Saturn were thought to offer lower levels of sunlight and to be somewhat colder than Earth, the authors wrote “we … may, at first thought, … believe that these two planets are entirely unfit for rational beings to dwell upon” but “these two planets … may be very comfortable places of residence.”

The authors understood some planets were not suitable for humans from Earth, and they had an answer for this, too. In describing the supposed inhabitants of Mercury, they suggested “the Almighty could as easily suit the bodies and constitutions of its inhabitants to the heat of their dwelling, as he has done to ours to the temperature of our earth. And it is very probable that the people there have such an opinion of us, as we have of the inhabitants of Jupiter and Saturn; namely, that we must be intolerably cold, and have very little sight at so great a distance from the sun.”

Extraterrestrial life was not restricted to only the planets and their moons: “The extreme heat, the dense atmosphere, the gross vapours, the chaotic state of the comets, seem at first sight to indicate them altogether unfit for the purposes of animal life, and a most miserable habitation for rational beings … therefore some are of the opinion that they are so many hells for tormenting the dammed … it seems highly probable, that such numerous and large masses of durable matter as the comets are, however unlikely they be to our earth, are not destitute of beings …”

The authors concluded that all of the parts of the solar system (or, as much of the solar system they knew; they could see as far as Saturn) had been created in such detail and complexity that this fact alone was “little less than a positive proof, that all the planets are inhabited …” This conclusion as driven by the firm belief that God would not have put so much effort into creating the entire solar system, to leave all except one planet uninhabited.

The idea of extraterrestrial life, therefore, was around during the eighteenth century, but it was a far cry from the science fiction of today. Inhabitants of the other planets in our solar system were benevolent people with scientific, questioning, exploring minds, and were at roughly the same level of technology as the authors of the Encyclopedia Britannica. One wonders if the authors imagined the inhabitants of Jupiter, Mercury, and the moon standing in their frock coats and tricornes, gazing out at Earth through their telescopes.
________________________________________________________________________________________​

The early survival lessons were hard learned. A school of hard knocks is a really tough task-master, with an extremely steep grading curve. You either learned, or you died. With lessons being so costly to learn, you can be sure that parents taught their children everything they knew.
Buck

Last edited:
" …” This conclusion as driven by the firm belief that God would not have put so much effort into creating the entire solar system, to leave all except one planet uninhabited. "

BUT........... what if HE did ?

We DO NOT DISCUSS RELIGION ON THE MUZZLELOADING FORUM. It is against forum rules.

The only reason I left this thread is the one comment you quoted was used to describe the thinking in the 18th century. Not it's rightness or wrongness.

In the Middle Ages Europeans had the story of Prestor John and his land was full of wonderful creatures but it was in general much like Europe in some utopian sense. China and India also had stories of far away places and they were always utopian versions of life in China or India.
By the eighteenth century planets became places instead of just lights in the sky.
Here on earth where ever explorers went from the cold artic to hot desert they found life and people
Today Sci-fi writers will bring up extraterrestrial civilization. However the ‘people’ may be octopi or lizards or cute girls with tails or funny colored skin, but the ‘people’ live in some sort of human like civilization. Han Solo is a smuggler and Klingons are much like Japanese Samurai mixed with Spartans. In the Mote in Gods Eye the ‘Moties’ looked very different from humans but lived in a technological feudal system. It seems beyond us to imagine a different world.
I would think most of the population in the eighteenth century didn’t give extraterrestrial life a thought. Those boys that did look at the sky would have really had to think out of the box to imagine a lifeless moon. At worst it must have been a Sahara on steroids
If Lapps and Eskimos and Siberian’s could live in snow and ice could they not on cold Jupiter. Could not a Berber live on hot mercury.
Honestly I would be more surprised if they didn’t.

It seems beyond us to imagine a different world.

I remember reading something by Dean Koontz about alien life that was interesting to me. I wish I could remember the exact quote, but it was basically that if we do ever encounter intelligent alien life it may be so profoundly alien that we won't even recognize it as intelligent life, nor it us. I love this kind of thing. I sometimes spend hours pondering such concepts (yes, I'm a nerd 😄).

A UFO landed on my yard today. They couldn’t get anymore ray guns, due to their home planets new president, so they wanted a few cap and ball revolvers. The laser cannon was replaced by a punt gun. Old glorp ,the captain, has a bad time reloading it .

Beam me up Scotti there seems to be no intelligent life on this planet. Look to SIRIUS that's where it is at.

The UFO came back today. Gave me a depleted uranium frizzen. I asked them about reproductive experiments, they got scared and left....

Zoni is one of them😂
History is full of alien looking craft in drawings and paintings. You don’t have to look too hard to find accounts of strange looking things seen at sea or in the backcountry.
Carl Sagan looked at fairy abduction stories and compared them to alien abductions, little difference.
Carl Jung said in the future we will see technological angels.
I saw a cartoon of giant aliens with a little baby alien. Mom and dad were calling baby telling them it was time to leave. He abandoned the blocks he had been playing with to go, leaving the little design on the ground behind him. His building blocks was Stonehenge.
If the truth is out there I just hope we’re not disappointed when we find it.

i have a book called "The Back Woods of Canada" written in the mid 1800's by Catherine Parr Trail. it is her true accounts of moving to Canada.
in one of the chapters of that book she writes about a lit up object hovering in the sky. she doesn't say anymore about it.
i am not a believer in ufo but i just wonder what she saw?
ou
tom

I love the ufo shows. But their ‘evidence’ is ‘what else could it be’. That’s a little bit less then proof. As yet I don’t believe but that doesn’t stop me from enjoying hearing the story.

I love the ufo shows. But their ‘evidence’ is ‘what else could it be’. That’s a little bit less then proof. As yet I don’t believe but that doesn’t stop me from enjoying hearing the story.

I like the way they fill up the time between advertisements with silly supposition and unanswered leading questions. Oh yeah, and funny hair cuts.

They are some serious researchers out there in the world though. How much are their thought processes controlled or flavored by their current world view (normalcy biases) as were some in the 18th Century? And how much is a matter of what they were allowed to print in the 18th Century just as we are so much constrained here in the 21th? Perhaps much more than we'll ever know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back