• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The English Sporting Rifle's first

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As many of you know, Herb here on the forum, made an English Sporting Rifle that I fell in love with and am the proud owner of.
I elk hunted last November with her, but was unable to close the distance on several bulls.

Well Tuesday night Margret (The iron lady) killed a small black bear.

I'll try to get the story and a photo or to posted when I'm done butchering, this weekend, unless I sneak away and make one more try at my bull tag :wink: which is as yet unfilled.

You've sure got my attention. If I was to boil all my hunting experience down into one gun, it would be an English Sporting Rifle in 58 caliber built by Herb. Doesn't mean I want to get rid of all my guns, but it sure tells you what I think of Herb, the style and the caliber.

Looking forward to your pics. Use that great gun with the pride it deserves! :thumbsup:

Well I best keep my word and get some photos up.

As I said I was hunting with my ESR in .54 Cal. made by Herb here on the forum.

I went up and hunted Elk & bear in a new to me area, Colorado Unit 62. I was the guest of Bill (Who I small game hunt with) and Scott. They had a "tin Teepee" camp and all that was required of me was my gear AM & afternoon food for myself and one evening meal for everyone.

The days would start at 4:30 or 5, no cooking just coffee and out the door. a short drive or ATV ride to a trail *** I did not die on an ATV although it was sketchy as it was my 1st time driving one, and I was learning how to ATV on mountain trails...in the dark :shocked2: *** then walk into an area scouting for elk. We never really did get into good elk sign, just a fresh track or two here and there. Because of this we changed up areas a lot. Often quitting an area by noon, back to camp for lunch and an hour rest, then hunt a new area from early afternoon until shooting light ended then walking out in the dark, back at camp by around 9:30 for dinner.

Where we did find a little elk sign was in the old burns, with thick blow downs, over grown by young quakeys.

http://vid1062.photobucket.com/albums/t493/4koden/IMG_0824_zpsq6a1l6q7.mp4

That's not to say there were no elk, we just seemed 48 hours to a week behind them. They had been there...

and I found some good wallows but there were Many of them and none seemed to be favored.

I thought I had a good stand, when I found a spring with a wallow and a big bear scat all within a small fold in the ridge. I sat the wallow until a noise then a large black shape slipping down the ridge.
http://vid1062.photobucket.com/albums/t493/4koden/IMG_0820_zpshji1wrri.mp4

Two big black bulls ear tags and all :doh: they even slurped from the wallow! They went up the hill a hundred yards and started a bellowing contest :(

The Afternoon of the 3rd day the weather came in fast..... http://vid1062.photobucket.com/albums/t493/4koden/IMG_0831_zpsowjxogrg.mp4

And became an on and off drizzle http://vid1062.photobucket.com/albums/t493/4koden/IMG_0830_zps2br9ahxr.mp4

On my last evening I was ghosting down a trickle of a creek headed in to hunt another wallow about 2-3 miles back. I had seen a lone elk track in the wallow 2 days before and some fresh bear scat on a trail 100 yards above the little creek.

As I turned a corned on the winding creek bottom, a young bear turned a corner coming up the creek :shocked2: We were both shocked but I a second less then he.......

The Rifle did it's part, I hit high, but that was ALL my doing. My shot was at about 27 yards and I am sighted in at 80, I made no allowances :redface:

The .54 round ball hit back bone and wreaked havoc.

The Young bear made 25 yards before anchoring, where I gave him another shot. Bill was almost a mile away but heard my shot and came in time to help me pack out.

Thank goodness Bill took the photo, I was so concerned with getting the bear out & skinned I took nary a one :doh:

The elk never did show, and Bill & Scott have only through tomorrow. I am headed to WY this next weekend To hunt a Doe Antelope, it is a rifle tag but I will again be hunting with the ESR. Margret is just hitting her stride :grin: There's a buck tag and a cow tag still to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
Patocazador said:
Congrats on the bear.

How did you get the skull and teeth that clean? .. it almost looks artificial.

Trim off everything you can boil in water and borax carefully clean after and soak in 3 parts hydrogen peroxide 2 parts water

Sean Gadhar said:
Patocazador said:
Congrats on the bear.

How did you get the skull and teeth that clean? .. it almost looks artificial.

Trim off everything you can boil in water and borax carefully clean after and soak in 3 parts hydrogen peroxide 2 parts water

Thanks for the tip. Our first bear hunt in Florida in 20+ years is scheduled for next month. I still have to locate one.

Back