• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Saturday, Oct. 20, 2007, opening day for the controlled hunt i was drawn for here in Western Oregon, dawned cold, cloudy and Wet. The Weatherman was wrong again. The rains that had been plaquing us all week were still here. As i stepped onto the trail i intended to follow to the spot i had picked out to sit and watch the well used deer trail a big drop of rain worked its way under my collar and down my back bringing a shiver to my spine. Finding a spot to sit back under a nice thickly leaved tree that would block some of the rain, and help to keep my powder dry,i settled in to wait. As i sat there watching, my eyes began to get heavy, and i think i may have drifted off for a bit. My eyes snapped open to the sound of a branch snapping. I looked around and there on the trail were a doe a fawn. I had a controlled hunt doe tag, but wasn't going to shoot one with a fawn in tow. Then i heard another sound and looking a little further down the trail saw a Huge 6pt buck, The Monarch of the Woods.(That would be 14 pts for you easterners that count every little nub sticking out. :grin:) As i watched the buck must have sensed my presence and as he looked in my direction our eyes locked for a second, before recognition set in and he bolted down the trail towards the doe and fawn. As he sped past them he opened his mouth and yelled "Run Bambi, run son. The hunters are in the woods". At that moment i was awakened from my dream by the sound of the alarm clock sounding on the stand next to my bed. Awakening i heard the sound of rain on the roof and promptly went back to sleep.

" Awakening i heard the sound of rain on the roof and promptly went back to sleep"

You to huh?....nice story thought.

Good one...I shut off the alarm at 5:30 this morning and strained to hear any sign of an excuse to stay in bed like rain, snow, tornado, I even thought for a moment I detected a locust swarm...but there wasn't anything so I got up and drove to the range...had a good shoot starting at first light, cool clear 60 degrees...I'm ALWAYS glad I got up AFTER I get up...its the GETTING UP part that's the struggle !!

Well, you had me hooked and was reeling me in. That ain't nice.

:rotf:

Rebel
You dirty RAT you. I wanted a better ending. Dream up a better ending Please.:grin: Good story.

Awright Rebel, you had me goin'. :haha:

I can't figger out how you managed to go back to sleep on opening morning after havin' a dream like that tho. Was probly a premonition... The buck of yer dreams walked right by the spot you COULDA BEEN SITTIN'! :shake:

And, anyhow, it ain't our fault that westerners can't count as high as us easterners. :blah: :rotf:

.(That would be 14 pts for you easterners that count every little nub sticking out. )

:blah: I liked that! :v

You must be an old feller, my dreams still always contain a wide and varied assortment of breasts, even when they're hunting dreams. :rotf:

Yea, Osprey, but I wasn't hunting CHICKENS. :rotf: And besides, lets not get too personal here and start callin' folks OLD just cuz we are over 50 and 51 and 52 and :grin:

eye guard tines. we dont count those out this way!

Rebel's dream is a reality... we get entirely too much rain this time of year on the west side. here lately, the past week has been blowing, raining, streams flooding ect. heck, 3 weeks back we were dry as a bone and dusty. Typical "Lewis & Clark" type weather!

Rebel sayed....""Yea, Osprey, but I wasn't hunting CHICKENS. "" he met he was too chiken to hunt in the rain! and since when is a point not a point????????? so a 6x6 is actually a 7x7 if'n its got brow tines-eye guards-pointy thingyese! :confused:

You bet i don't hunt in the rain, i might melt. :grin: "actually a 7x7 if'n its got brow tines-eye guards-pointy thingyese" and this is only the case if you live east of the Mississippi. :grin:

I you can hang a ring on it, it counts. May have to hold it sideways though, so the ring don't fall off. :shocked2: :blah:

Never really understood why you wouldn't count a point as a point. What's the point (or is there only half a point)? :haha:

Spot

"eye guard tines. we dont count those out this way!'

right, but they are counted when measureing for the point system for record purposes..I liked that it made my 3ptr a 4 ptr...

Back