• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Matchlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
Early muskets were large and too heavy to support without assistance. Soldiers used crutch-like musket rests to support the gun's weight.
fork.jpg

A "u" shaped musket fork (like the one pictured) made of iron was mounted onto a tall wooden pole, which was set into the ground.

musketeer2.gif

17th cent. Musketeer

Reloading took a long time, involving some 48 distinct movements. Elaborate methods were designed to provide a continuous stream of fire. Troops were deployed in formations of 6 or more ranks to deliver their shots one rank at a time. After one rank of shooters fired a newly reloaded rank would move in front of the them (fire by introduction) or the recent shooters would move to the rear and reload (fire by extroduction), exposing a loaded rank.

Can you just imagine the gonads it took to stand in the open at way less than a hundred yards while the "other" guys were shooting at you?
Now I've been in a gunfight or two or three and a situation like that has a pucker factor of TEN.
I can't imagine standing in the open with an empty musket while the other side fires a volley at you. :no:

I believe the word SQUIRE comes to mind...
Pronunciation: 'skwIr
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English: squier...

Its Middle English for STAND IN FRONT OF ME WHILE I RELOAD ... :haha:

Mooskitperson:
Thanks for the definition. Makes sense too.
By the way I like your new hat and hair doo, but the makeup is a bit much don'cha'think? :haha: :haha:

Back