• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Nock Volley Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone made one of these in repro? This must be a literal "blast" to shoot, and a long winded cleaning session. I sure liked it in the Alamo with Richard Widmark.
They were originally used to blast the enemy from above in naval battle. Stated recoil was crazy!

nock2.jpg

Someone made one for the TV series Sharpe's Rifles, I saw it at a gun show but reckon they had rather overestimated the value of it at GBP 4k. You could see all the brazing inside between the barrels, not impressed at that price :rolleyes:.

I saw one,an original,while at a museum in Calgary last month.When I first saw the one in the Sharps series I thought it was a made up gun.Very cool....

If you watch the boarding scene in Master and Commander, a guy unloads a Nock's into a crowd of French sailors...it was IMPRESSIVE to see it go off!

The Rifle Shoppe carries parts sets for this beast, but I think that the barrels alone go for over $200.00 a piece...that's around $1500 worth of tubing, if anyone is keeping count.

When I first saw the Nock's, i thought that it was a rotating affair, like a pepperbox...when I found out that they all went off basically at once, I cringed all over. I read a report once online from the British Ordinance Department regarding the volley gun. In a nutshell it said that the soldiers who fired it refused to do it more than once and reported that the recoil was "stout".

I guess that's nice talk for "it pounded the living @#$% out of me"

what is that 4 barrels....ouch....what caliber...............bob
[url] 7...in[/url] 20gauge smoothbore or .54 rifle. Of course, the ordinance department figured out right away that it was pointless to rifle them as they "tended to go askew".

But, JEEEZ, can you imagine this thing loaded with #4 buckshot??? At 12 pieces per barrel, that's 84 .25 caliber balls flying around...that's almost 3 M-16 mags worth of lead unloading at once! I would not want to be on either end of one, I think... :youcrazy:

Naw, I want to shoot one, just once.

Last edited by a moderator:
The originals had 7 .50 caliber barrels! Fun Fun Fun!

Oh, you're right! I thought .54 sounded wrong...guess I should go with "when you think you're wrong, don't say anything" like my wife keeps telling me....

:thanks:

Here's what the Rifle Shopppeee says about them:

""In 1780 the ordinance department ordered 500 of these seven barrel Nock

I saw a defensive gun at a museum on Montreal; looked like the Pilgrim's Blunderbuss on steroids. Like a cross between a swivel cannonade and a long rifle...Bore was a couple of inches across & the mouth swelled out to around a 4' funnel shape & ther was a swivel mounted in the forearm so you could shoot this thing from the walls of the town...the bell shpted muzzle must have been to aid in re-loading...talk about a 'stout' recoil...

Actually, I'd read that some in the Royal Navy didn't like the Nock's in the fighting tops, since the seven-barrel discharge was more likely than a Bess to ignite their own sails below.

This is their kit 789. Each barrel is $195, lock $295 assembled, $632.55 for the rest of the parts. total $2295.55 for the parts...buy two, I'll take the other.

Better dead-French-swabby value with this, @$850:

http://www.wildimports.com/new_page_8.htm

What the hell, I wanna try it, too! Where'd you find this monster, anyway? Garage sale? :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

What the hell, I wanna try it, too! Where'd you find this monster, anyway? Garage sale? :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

That is some guy in merrry old England who has it. Yeh I wish I could turn one up at a garage sale :haha:

Maybe if we all banded together in a bulk buy from a gunmaker we could get a volume discount? ::

:hmm:--But wouldn't it be simplier to just load 6 or 8 .50 caliber balls in a 1" smoothbore? That would be a 4 gage, lots simplier to build and to load. Yeah, I know, not as cool.-- ::

The cleaning is not a problem at all. Seen some cooments that indicate that the Nock was hated by the users as it seemed to cause great bodily harm to ones shoulder when it is fired.

and that picture is familiar to me, its supposed to be of the nock copy used for sharpes films.

The early guns were rifled and the later ones smoothbore. You can go to the City of Charleston Museum in South Carolina to see an early one.

Back