• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

This morning's hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsday

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Got my PA bird this morning.

Our season basically runs through May. I've got some work and family stuff eliminating 3 of the 5 weekends on my season. I made it known that the first unlucky Jake that came by was going in my freezer if I had anything to say about it. A long beard would be fine, but a jake would do nicely.

This morning was my third day hunting. I've had some birds going and had a close encounter with a coyote but no shots taken until this morning.

I got in and set up by 5:30. Dawn came on and I heard 2 gobblers on 2 opposite hills from me. Pretty distant and off the property. So I began to call every ten minutes.

At 6:30 I decided to crane my neck around the tree I was sitting against to take a look behind me. Seriously, At about 20 yards behind me I saw a turkey picking this way through the brush. I don't know how he didn't see the movement but he hadn't. Then another, then another, 5 jakes in all.

They're hard behind me on my right. My gun is on my lap and pointing left. They're at 15 yards kinda angling away.

I got my hammer back and started to think . . . fast. I figured I'd wait until the last bird got around on me so at least all 5 of em wouldn't see my swing. But suddenly the first bird's head popped up alert. He had seen my deeks down in front of me. Hallaluya!

The whole group (following the leader) curved out around a dead fall off my right front. When the lead 4 were behind the dead fall and number 5 was watching the leader intently I started to get the gun around. At no time were these birds more than 20 yards away from me!

I'm now holding on the decoys and watching the group come around the dead top.

They were all 4 to 5 inch jakes so I figured the leader was as good as any. When he cleared the brush i let fly.

Down, Dead, Right there.

They may be jakes but they are still sooo fun.

That's my 16 bore standing there with me.

2012Gobbler003.jpg

I gathered up my stuff, took some pictures and got ready to get out of there and the whole time one of his buddies was about 80 yards away calling and calling trying to get back together.

I'm sure if I'd have had another hunter there we could have called him back in.

Saw 2 strutters in the field at the bottom of the hill on my way home.

Got him home cleaned and in the freezer and still made my 8 AM meeting!

Now that's a good day of work!

Greg

That was a cool hunt, thanks for taking me along. You had me holding my breath there for a minute. Nothing is more exciting than having game of any kind in your lap and trying to figure how to get on them. Well played.

Spence

That's the way to get it done, congratulations !!

PS: The elitest have created this mindset that Jakes are somehow inferior...my take is, let the Wildlife Management boys handle their jobs...if they say its a legal bearded turkey, end of discussion...play the cards you're dealt.

ALSO:
Don't stand for any nonsense about shooting Jakes hurting the turkey population.
Lovett E. Williams, Jr. is one of the top 3 nationally reknown, recognized, published authorities (Turkey Hunting & Management) and covers that in his book, proving just the opposite...

:thumbsup:

Beautiful gun & beautiful bird. Is a jake a young male bird? What is the best eating? Young, hen, mature? BTW I can smell it cooking from here.

One day I'm going to make the trip over there & hunt turkeys. Shot a grouse in Canada once but that's not quite the same is it? :hmm:

Greg, what load are you using in that 16 bore? I shoot a 16 as well and I'm serching for a load for turkeys! Nice bird and pic! Congrats! Ed :hatsoff:

Thanks everyone.

A jake is a one year old bird. Usually about 15 or 16 pounds in our neck of the woods.

I filet the breast meat out for marinating and grilling. Save the legs and thighs to boil off in the winter for soup.

Wifey loves marinated strips on the grill. It's fun to serve it to people and have them actually enjoy it.

My load is an 80 grain measure of 2F, one 1/8" overpowder card, one lubed 1/2" cushion wad, an 80 grain measure of 6 shot in a paper cup, and one over shot card.

My gun is jug choked (modified). This load shoots a really good tight pattern at 30 yards, and a pretty decent pattern at 35 yards. I consider 35 yards my max.

Good luck to all you hunters out there. I really enjoy reading about everyone's exploits.

Greg

Greg,
Thanks for taking us on your hunt. Great story. I have had no luck here in Ohio to date. Hoping this weekend my luck will change. I've admired your gun before and intend to build me one just like it when I get this 50 cal. rifle finished. Until then I will have to use one of those 'modern' guns. :wink:

Back