• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson Center bashing (help)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moose30273

36 Cal.
Reaction score
SO I just got off the phone with a woman at the Thompson Center parts line. I told her that I had an older flintlock and I wanted to purchase the upgraded parts. I was informed that there have been no upgrades to the lock and it is the same one that has been sold for the last 30 or so years. I asked her about a change in the frizzen and hammer. She said again there have been no changes. My deal is I just want to upgrade my lock without sending it off. Can anyone give me the part numbers for the upgrade? Or is there the name of anyone at TC that you have dealt with who would know what is going on? Thanks.

She obviously doesn't have a clue.

Given the redesign took pace in the mid-late 90's, I'm sure by now if you called and specified that you wanted to buy a new current production hammer & frizzen you'd get the new style.

NOTE:
The old style top jaw and jaw screw will not work on the new hammer...so you also need to get a new top jaw & screw that goes with the new hammer.

What if you sent the lock in to have it "repaired" for failure to ignite or something like inconsistent ignition? They might fix it to your liking or replace the lock. :hmm:

Yes I could send it in. However, Me being Me I just hate to send off anything that works in the hopes someone I do not know will make it better. I'm just weird that way.

DoubleDeuce 1 said:
What if you sent the lock in to have it "repaired" for failure to ignite or something like inconsistent ignition? They might fix it to your liking or replace the lock. :hmm:

That's what I was thinking. I believe more than one person on the forum has done just that and received the new lock.

HD

Moose,

on my t/c i tried a replacement lock from L&R, i believe, and the reliability went to almost 100%. that was a good gun, and you should experience the same after a lock upgrade IMO.
good luck!
:v

I got my new hammer with new top screw and touchhole from Log Cabin Supply at Lodi, Ohio. They didn't give me the top screw and had to go back and get it. Dilly

Huntin Dawg said:
DoubleDeuce 1 said:

That's what I was thinking. I believe more than one person on the forum has done just that and received the new lock.

HD

Yes, many, many times...and more often than not they just send you a complete new lock assembly.

sent my lock to T/C about 5 weeks ago,requested new type cock and frizzen and to purchase 2 new vent liners, sent $20.00 to cover shipping.
recieved back 2 weeks later, same cock,same frizzen, new cut flint,2vent liners and my $20.00 check. I'm glad to get what I did,but I rather have the lock upgraded.

TTC

Don't you just love it when a sales person tries to sale or tell you about something they know nothing about. I was in a sporting good store afew years back when a sales lady tried to sell this older gentleman a sub blackpowder saying it was better than the real thing. needless to say I spoke out and told him nothing beats the real thing.... You should of seen that woman giving me the stink eye. :youcrazy:

I sent 2 of mine in with a letter that it was unreliable and got 2 new locks at no charge. Just send it in and you will probably get a new lock. They are far above the originals.

roundball said:

Given the redesign took pace in the mid-late 90's, I'm sure by now if you called and specified that you wanted to buy a new current production hammer & frizzen you'd get the new style.

The woman on the phone may have been hired after the redesign took place and she may not know the history of the lock. That's why we have the Forum. :wink:

Claude said:
roundball said:

The woman on the phone may have been hired after the redesign took place and she may not know the history of the lock. That's why we have the Forum. :wink:

But she said:
"There haven't been any changes in 30 years"

The way things are going at T/C right now, I wouldn't send anything back. The L&R lock is not easy to install. If you order the new parts, you'll get the right stuff.

roundball said:
Claude said:
roundball said:

But she said:
"There haven't been any changes in 30 years"

Obviously a misstatement. :wink:

"That's why we have the Forum."

Is that the new upgraded forum or the original forum?

Y'all are funny. So here is the be all to end all. I tore my rifle down into about 15 or 20 pieces. The barrel (1") is on it's way to Ed Rayl to be made into a .62. And after much internet searching and debate, the lock is headed for Thompson Center. We shall see. On a personal note, I enjoy this forum very much. There is great advice and a good spiritedness that is not found elsewhere. Good people here.

I just sent my old (late 70's) lock back to T/C with a note indicating that the spark was weak. In about a week, I had a new lock with the redesigned geometry. No charge, no problem. T/C is the greatest when it comes to customer service.

t/c is getting tighter on replacing things if they are not defective.

i had bluing come off my barrel and sent it in.

they said i owed 40 dollars for bluing.

i said ok and whats the person to send the 40 dollars too.

they then said,OH HECK, FORGET IT .

so, i assume they are getting pressure to charge.

old locks worked but my problem was they were breaking my flints up so badly.

my brother will not send his in as it works great and goes off.

he figures that something worst would happen and it works fine for him.

t/c does have great customer service but how long people get free things in future is too be seen.

Back