• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson Firestorm Issues

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Kucharski

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Myself and two other club members purchased firestorms new when they first came out on the market. We all experienced trouble with them creating enough spark for ignition. With much experimenting with various flints. One member sold his and two of us replaced frizzens. Although they ignite from time to time, my rifle does not seem to have that rolling spark you see on most quality guns. Does anyone know if there were issues with the lock and or frizzens? I should have consulted Thompson initially. Thanks

Huma, Your gun should work fine. To trouble shoot it, start with pan ignition. Just priming with FFFg powder, does the pan go off every time with a sharp flint? A sharp black English or Rich Pierce white Missouri should give you plenty of sparks. If you are using one of those cut agates, some work, but most don't. Next if you have flash in the pan consistently, what is the size of the touch hole. 1/16th or 5/64th's will give the best ignition. Your firestorm has a patent breach which needs good , and careful cleaning. The Firestorm was TC's attempt to have a flintlock work with the synthetic powders, and some of the powder makers came up with pellets with black powder in the center to help with ignition, as most of the synthetics ignite at around 650 degrees, where as the ignition point of REAL Black powder is around 450 degrees. If your frizzen doesn't make enough sparks to set off a pan of black almost all the time, then i would pack it up and send it back to TC with a note. It has a life time warranty, and they will fix it, and get it back in a timely matter. You need to work on your problem in steps to get a good working flintlock. A proper working flintlock is a joy. If you don't have good Black English flints, PM me and I will send you a few to try.

Bill

Pack the lock up and send it to TC with a note saying it doesn't ignite consistantly and they will send you the newly designed lock with a much better hammer angle and much better frizzen. The difference was night and day with my rifles. Some say they didn't see much of a change but my experience is that it's about 100% improvement.

If your going to use subs then prime the barrel and pan with real black. I would use real black for the whole load if it were me. You can order 5 lbs which will last a long time.

And now for the correct answer. :grin: The Firestorm has the same lock as any other TC flintlock. It is a good sparker. I recommend you not use the cut agate flints and use hand knapped ones. I don't think they ever had the “old” style lock on them. They DO NOT have the so called “patent breech”. But have a cone that is supposed to support the ignition of Pyrodex pellets. I have never shot pellets in any gun I have ever owned or otherwise for that matter. But the Firestorm is very fast, as fast or faster than most with real black powder and real flints. The touch hole is fantastic as it comes, leave it alone.
My suggestions are:
70-80 grs of 3f GOEX
4f GOEX prime right up close to the touch hole.
Black English or French Amber flint.
Preferably a patched round ball but I guess you can use some other 'bullet'!

Mine will shoot loose Pyrodex P almost,

Thanks for your experience with this.Good information. I've only tried different agate that I thought was flint.now I know the difference.

You guys are great,this is a very helpfull forum! Thank you all again! Can you recommend an online store for good english flints. I see them advertised in the dixie catalog.any suggestions?

I highly recommend Rich Pierce flints. Search for him under the members tab and either contact him by email or PT. He is great to deal with and his flints work well in the Firestorm.

Just curious, is the frizzen face on your gun black or bright? I have seen at least one T/C lock that did not have the frizzen face polished when it came out of the factory. If this is the case, ignition will be seriously retarded unless you take a piece of fine emory cloth and remove all of the black finish.

I concur with ebiggs recommendations. :thumbsup:

Here is a link for Track of the Wolf (TOW)
These flints work well in my T/C Flinter, Siler lock, pedersoli lock and a few other fintlocks I've used them with. http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/TableList.aspx?catID=2&subID=29&styleID=83

Rich also makes a good flint.

Were you using FF in the priming pan, in the barrel or both? If so that's part of the problem, along with the flint. Which granulation of Pyro are you using(pan and barrel)? I prefer FFFF in the pan and some prefer FFF, depending on conditions. FFFF works much better and quicker for me, but may run into problems in humidity or weather with the finer granulations. Eric Nailed it. Stick with real B.P. if you can, at least for priming and a base in the barrel.

Good luck and post your results back up.

Last edited by a moderator:
We all used 4f in the pan and 2f as the charge. After all the good advise I've been receiving i think im going to buy some good flints and start by getting rid of the agate. That is what came with the rifle.

I've bagged deer with both 80gr bp and 2,50 gr pyrodex pellets and round Balls.

I realize you need to take certain steps for good ignition, but the spark from the agate does not seem to roll like i've seen on other rifles, and it misfires more than it fires. Rich is backed up two weeks. Im going to get some from him. but im going to try track of the wolf for a quick delivery. Pa flintlock season starts Dec 26th.
Thanks for your help

If you get Dixie's flints, order alot. The last time I got some from them, there was a lot of rejects. Your money would be better spent with some of our members.

While on the subject of flints...................
The rejects mentioned above brings to mind that the flint should not have a severe “hump back”. :hmm:
It makes it harder to get a firm grip on the flint. This is a big reason locks don't spark well. :shocked2:
The flint must be firmly in place. :thumbsup:
I really suspect that is why manufacturers use those simply dreadful cut agate stones.

Back