• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Throwing Knives

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are some I carry at times, usually only two or three of them,I do not have a good throwing knife right now though most knives can be thrown if you are practiced at it.

P1290058.jpg

I usually carry two. A 9 1/2" bladed belt knife, and a friction folder that is in a pocket in my shot bag. But, I don't throw either.

pennyknife489_640x480.jpg

wicksknives027_640x480.jpg

Those knives are just plunb pretty Wick, I assume they are by your own hand, a very talented hand for sure.

Those are nice knives, Wick, and the sheath ain't slouchy either. If they were mine I certainly wouldn't throw them.

Sambar elk antler tip, as best I remember. That folder is my main deer worker, and will do a couple or three before needing a touch up. The blade was a Nicholson file. I think I made that one about ten years ago.

Throwing knives and knives that I carry are not the same at all.
Throwing knives: the one in the middle came from TotW; its sheath is on the left - one piece of leather, no stitches. The other four are practice knives that I made.
Throwingknives.jpg
[/img]

Carry knives: This one was made for me by David Boye twenty-five years ago.
IMG_1818.jpg

This one I made recently:
IMG_1772b.JPG
[/img]
Sorry about the plastic shells; it's the only picture that I have of the knife. Ironically, the knife is used for cutting patches at the muzzle of my GPR.

Pete

Here's mine,

rickpics1031.jpg

I carry the sweet deer leg handled knife (made by ellerbe)in my belt and the opinel folder in my haversack. That opinel is also my everyday carry pocket knife.

Sometimes I carry two straight bladed knife's, depending on the company I'am keeping :grin:

Hey Wick I'll swap ya my Opinel folder for your folder, I'll even throw in some boot :thumbsup:

Here's the two that I'm throwing right now. They have 10" blades and moose stag handles. I know throwers aren't supposed to have stag handles... :nono: ...but if yer reeal careful you can get away with it... :)

A%20pair.JPG

Here's another pair of throwers. The big blade on top has been around the horn. It was made by Judson Brennan in 1978 from a buggy spring. The handle has moose bone slabs taken from just below the base of the antler where the bone is most dense and strong. Steel bolsters on both ends protect the horn. You can't see it but the blade is engraved with the words, "1st Friendship 1980" Total length is 15" and weighs just under 2#.

A_pair_of_throwers1.JPG

You can see where the Brennan knife gets it's weight.
A_pair_of_throwers2.JPG

Speaking of throwing knives

Who sells a reasonably priced kit for one?

Foster From Flint

Kits.
If you want a nice looking knife to carry about - a knife on the fancy side, like some of the beauties in this thread, you are going to want good steel and finer materials for the handle, etc.
Are you, then, going to throw that knife?
If you just want to make practice knives - just for throwing practice - then you can order a six foot piece of 2.5 X 1/8" or 5/32" low carbon steel for less than $30 - get some 1/4" leather, make up some rivets and make four of your own. For practice, they are very functional, can be properly balanced. They don't need to hold an edge since they are purpose built.
Not pretty enough to carry but they sure do last when throwing.
Pete

OK Wick, you win! :surrender: They are all very nice but Wick's are special and to be very proud of. :hatsoff:
Dusty :wink:

Back