• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tick Repellent

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john12865

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Does any one know of a tick repellent that doesn't doesn't stink.
I'm trying to find something that deer won't pick up on scent wise. Smelling like a can of "OFF" is probably not a good thing
We've had some banner tick crops the last couple of years. I just found one on me today from just being in my yard. It didn't get a chance to bite in.
What did they old timers use?

john12865 said:
I've used spray cans of Permanone for 20-25 years...works perfectly...don't think it has much of an odor or if it does it apparently doesn't have any negative effects on hunting.

Don't have a clue what was used back in the day

roundball said:
john12865 said:
I've used spray cans of Permanone for 20-25 years...works perfectly...don't think it has much of an odor or if it does it apparently doesn't have any negative effects on hunting.

Hey thanks roundball I'm going to give it a try.

Permanone works great and it even lasts through a couple of washings.
Follow the directions on the can and spray it on your clothes, not your skin. It even works on seed ticks.

fw707 said:
Permanone works great and it even lasts through a couple of washings.
Follow the directions on the can and spray it on your clothes, not your skin. It even works on seed ticks.

Yes...AND...after spraying the bottom few inches of your pant cuffs, inside and outside, plus the top few inches of your socks, you're going to fold the pant cuffs back down.

This will get Permanone all over your fingertips that you need to wash/clean off thoroughly...because...sooner or later without thinking about it, you're going to reach up and rub your eyes like everybody does for one reason or another and if it's on your fingertips it will sting the eyes badly, causing them to tear up a lot.

A lot of research on going on up here. The University just tested repellents and clothing last month. Hopefully something new will come of it soon.
[url] http://www.tickencounter.org/News[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
roundball said:
john12865 said:

Yep, if it is the same stuff I use. Clothes treatment only, lasts 2-3 weeks even with washings, ticks climb on spaz out then die/fall off. Military uses a version of the same stuff. Slight oder that fades if you hang clothes outside and/or give them a wash.

I want to say that the old timers wore long underwear year round for such an issue. I chatted with a Civil War reinactor and he commented on the long underwear for keeping bugs out of your body.

Thanks for all the replies. Ticks have become a serious issue here.
As a kid I spent a lot of time in the woods here in NY and never saw one.
I'm curious as to what has happened with the ecosystem that has caused them to show up here and why the populations are so high in other states. :hmm: Did they lose a natural predator or is it a result of warmer winters? Anyone know?

fw707 said:
The chemical is permethrin.

Yes, it is a synthetic analog of pyrethrum, a natural insecticide found in chrysanthemum flowers.

The natural product breaks down in a day or two making it ineffective for long term protection. The synthetic version is a bit different in chemical structure and more resistant to degradation. Mammals are not effected to any great extent by it as your body contains an enzyme (esterase) that beaks it down quite rapidly. This is why it is effective when applied to clothing fabric, to which it binds tenaciously, but useless when applied to skin. It is also used in formulations for animals in which case it binds to the hair.

I was skeptical of it's effectiveness so I treated some pants then wore them in a tick infested area. The first tick I picked up on my pantleg made it to my knee, stopped crawling, spasamed, then fell to the ground. :thumbsup:

I keep a set of pants/shirt/jacket treated for hunting season and have not been bitten nor had a tick on me when wearing them. I've been treated for Lyme 3 times as a result of bites when not wearing the treated clothing.

It also works to keep chiggers off as well. I work for our state Dept of Agriculture doing Mosquito Control work, it's also what we use in the truck ULV sprayers when we aerisol spray roadsides and yards. When it dries on your clothes there is virtually no odor.

If you hunt skeeter infested areas and use a Therma-cell, permethrin is also the chemical (or one of it's variants, may be sumethrin, I'd have to go out and look at the label) used on the mats that get heated to provide the protection zone.

The brandname Walmart uses in their hunting/camping section is Repel, but the word Permanone is right under that word...just bought another few cans this summer

hi ho john,

read somewhere, maybe on this forum about fresh catnip being a good bug repelant. tried some. crushed it up and rubbed it on the neighbors infested dog. the fleas and ticks came off him in clouds. the stuff does work..

also read on this foroum about using flea collars around your ankles. never tried it, but, should work as long as they are outside of your socks. (mite be ruff on naked skin??)

good luck and ..ttfn..grampa..

John, I mean you absolutely no disrespect when I ask you this, and I'm not calling your woodskills into question. That said, I have to ask if you're CERTAIN that what your finding are indeed ticks? I've run into this sort of discussion about ticks in NY when there didn't used to be any etc. from many different forums, from primitive archery to braintanning to you name it... and in the end, ALMOST invariably, regardless how heated the discussion becomes, it's actually insects (ticks have 8-legs and are classified arachnid, not insect) known as Siberian Deer Keds. Look them up... I've written long horror stories about my experiences with them, stories of my hunting experiences in CERTAIN parts of the Adirondacks and Tug Hill (they're not everywhere yet, thank GOD!!! But, DEC told me that it's just a matter of time) over the past 20 or so years.

Ticks are very small until after the blood meal, whereas keds are about the size of a small-ish housefly, rust to brown colored, and have SIX legs, and until after it lands on you, it also has a set or two of primitive wings. Those wings are not so great at flying, they're better suited for gliding - if they miss you the first time, they swing wide and come back after you gliding in from another direction (strangely reminiscent of a terrorist flying a jet). Once they (females only - go figure!!! LOL!) land on their host, one pair of legs is specially adapted to slice off their wings, much like an invading army burns their boats; no going back. Victory or death.

They can flatten-out against your skin so that your fingers cannot feel them when you occasionally reach to feel for something crawling on your neck, scalp, or other body areas (they prefer hair, and warmth, and seem to have an unholy affinity for the human groin area). The specialized feet at the ends of their legs have an almost anesthesia effect on the skin; you can barely feel them as they walk. It's much like the effect that leeches have with whatever it is that their mouthparts excrete to keep you from feeling them latch onto you. They even have the ability to utter small, quiet sqeaks, and they have a tenacious ability to cling even after a vigorous, soapy shower. I cannot count the number of times I used to wake up in a panic when one of them that was missed, after what I thought was a thorough search (even after said vigorous showering), would approach my ear canal in the dead of the night, giving that sound that I've come to fear. Man, I tell ya what - I'm glad no one ever videotaped one of those heebie-jeebie dances in the dark....

Funny, I'm not afraid of anything, except those little varmints. Especially when a horde of them comes at me in late fall (they prefer September and later, until the temps get and stay below 20*F or so; strangely, while other insect activity generally ceases below 40*F, these vermin stay active even when temps are 26*!!!) like a cloud approaching from the west, and the setting sun behind them lends an extra dose of the macabre to the scene...

They're extremely hard to kill. I have learned to leave my fingernails a little bit longer during this time of year, because nothing short of cutting them into pieces can stop them. And while I'm distracted with the frenetic dismembering process of one, up to 25 more have landed on me, shorn their wings, and begun that hideous, robotic shuffle to find what they're looking for... the Blood Meal.

Their bite, while scinetists insist are not known for the transference of any known disease, is VERY painful and can leave an itchy, painful, large, raised welt up to 2 inches long that lasts up to 3 months or more. They don't want you to forget them any time soon, it would seem. I suppose that's what it must feel like to break up with a psycho ex-girlfriend? Who knows...

Another thing -- I have tried virtually every type and brand of repellant out there, as well as a few of my own tried and true concoctions, and the verdict is in: Nothing works. Period. I'll say it again, NOTHING works at repelling the little rat bastids. I've had to leave deer hides in garbage bags fumigated with any number of insect killers, for several days, sealed, and even then once in awhile there will still be one or more crawling around.

Whenever I get a deer in an area that I KNOW has been infested with keds, I skin it before I transport it home because I do not want to bring them back to my home area. Unfortunately, I don't know of any other hunters that take this precaution, and it is as the DEC says: "It's only a matter of time..."

Okay, well that's all for now, I'm sure that at least one or more readers will think that I've made some of this up but the truth is, not only have I NOT exaggerated a single thing, I have held back a LOT... These things can cause nightmares, and I'm not even CLOSE to being germaphobic, or any other sort of phobic... but these things.... bbbrrrr!!!

Back