• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tiger Stripe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finn, there's hardly any stripe there. I'll give ya $50 for it and pay the shipping, just to get it off yer hands, it really just looks like kindlin to me. :crackup: It's a keeper Finn, or you could use it for checking out stain and practicing carving. :crackup: If you wait for a grade six, then you'll want better. That is one beautiful piece of wood. I would go for it. Bill

I wish all the grade 5's I have bought looked like that. If it is like that all over & on both sides, I would say very nice grade 6 & I would say use it..... Looks like it may have a dead spot on the right side of the photo on the forestock & if so, that would bring it down to a 5, but also you may run into stripes there to when you make the stock.

I would use it, it will make a fine rifle it it is like that all over. And if not, go for a 6 or 7. I never hear anyone griping about Too Good of wood. but have heard several moan they wish they had bought better wood. I believe you should always buy all ya can afford.... :results:

Finnwolf,
That's a nice stick of wood. When you say "build my first (Haines .54)" do you mean first gun, or just first "Haines"? The reason I ask is that figured wood like that can be a bear to work with and may not be a good choice for a first project.
:m2c:

Cody

Finnwolf.

I'm assuming this is a Dunlap blank??

His 5's will usually beat out any elses 7"s, just as this one shows.
As I said before, I just love nice wood. A lot of curl make the wood harder to work with though. And it really doesn't matter how nice a piece of wood is, if the architecture isn't right. It's then just fancy kindling.
Lancaster styles are one of the easiest to build because of all the nice straight lines.(take special care to keep them that way)
Sorry, I ramble on some. :yakyak:
I think it's a great piece of wood. It will make a fine rifle if you do your part.
Remember though, it will be a little harder to work with. Keep your cutting tools VERY sharp.
Good luck on your adventure. :peace:

Hey Bill, BD6, Cody & Smallpatch,
Thanks for the feedback on this piece of wood. Cody, it is my first kit build except for a couple of caplock pistols I threw together 20 years ago. I've gotten a little handier and a lot more patient over those years. I've worked and finished a lot of wood and even built a few cabinets and some furniture. Only thing that scares me is carving on an expensive piece of wood (and little things like drilling touchholes and tang holes). I'm thinking I'll practice carving for awhile and if I don't get good enough I'll leave my stock uncarved. If it's curly enough, it'll still look good enough to hand down to my son someday.

I like the folks I'm dealing with - they make me want to drive down there and visit - maybe I will.

Few weeks back, a lot of members posted how much they like Rice barrels - hope no one's changed their mind?

Thanks for the advice. I'm getting real close to giving in to this bug this time around.

Finnwolf

Finn, there's hardly any stripe there. I'll give ya $50 for it and pay the shipping, just to get it off yer hands, it really just looks like kindlin to me. :crackup: It's a keeper Finn, or you could use it for checking out stain and practicing carving. :crackup: If you wait for a grade six, then you'll want better. That is one beautiful piece of wood. I would go for it. Bill

Bill I've got ya beat - I'll give him $60 plus the shipping. :crackup: No seriously Finn, I look at a lot of wood each week and that one there is a beauty! If it were out at a show, I'd have bought it already! ::

Good luck, and let me know if I can help any!

Sorry Barbie, can't sell it to you. Bill's got me carving it down to his specs so I can ship it to him for 50 bucks. He says I can send him a check - doesn't have to be cash. I sent you a PM earlier on a kit question.

Back