• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

to much?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backwoodshunter

32 Cal.
Reaction score
hi all. ive ben shooting a 350 gr maxi-hunter with 100 gr of 777. i had someone tell me that this is to much powder for that big bullet. he said that sooner or later that when i go to shoot that it will blow the nipple out of the gun. was wondering if he is right or if he was just full of it. its a cva 50 cal. hawkins #11 caps. also would this bulet be good for hogs? thanks for any and all info.

brett

The proper answer is go by the manufacturer's load data recommendations from CVA and Hodgdon. For example, T/C's .50cal has its published load data maxed at 100grns 2F for a 350grn Maxi-Hunter...but I don't know about CVA.

Also, from posts I've seen on some forums, 777 is supposed to be hotter than 2F and if you use 2F load "data" as a reference, but use 777 in its place, you should reduce the amount of 777 by 15-20%...ie: 80grns 777 in your example...but I don't personally know that to be true.

IMHO, you should not take the word of strangers on the Internet for a decision like this...you should personally check with CVA and personally check with the maker of 777...make your own decision based upon those facts. There may even be references to this on the Hodgdon 777 label, or at least on the Hodgdon website.

roundball said:
IMHO, you should not take the word of strangers on the Internet for a decision like this...you should personally check with CVA and personally check with the maker of 777...make your own decision based upon those facts. There may even be references to this on the Hodgdon 777 label, or at least on the Hodgdon website.

Amen!!!!!

Us folks on the internet may push a lot of keys, but the manufacturers are the ones with the test equipment and the liability hanging on the line.

I don't know anything about 777, except its not Black Powder, its more expensive, harder to ignite, and burns hotter. I do know that the .50-70- 550 cartridge killed about everything that walked or crawled on this continent from the mid-1860s, to the early 1870s, when the military adopted the .45-70-500 cartridge. Seems to me that until you talk to the powder maker, and the gun maker, about their recommendations, the very least you should be considering is reducing that load to 70 grains. :thumbsup:

Have you done any penetration tests with that load? That will answer your questions about whether you can use it on a Wild Boar- I am assuming that you have no intention of shooting a boar that weights less than 400 lbs. with that load! :shocked2:

The .45-90 Express cartridge fired a .330 grain bullet in it.( The .50-90 also fired a 350 grain bullet, using black powder.) Now, here you are with a gun that is NOT designed to be as strong as those cartridge guns, using a heavier charge in it. And you don't think there is going to be a price to pay for using such loads as a steady diet????

Your friend has properly told you that the first sign that the gun is saying "NO MORE" will probably be when it sends that nipple back over your head. At the very least, you will find the orifice burned open, and your hammer will be kicking back to half-cock. The spent cap will go flying- possibly into your forehead, and your accuracy will drop when that happens. Exactly when that happens depends on the condition of the individual gun.

Good luck to you. Just, Please, don't be standing next to me on a firing line when you fire that load. :thumbsup:

PS:

An alternative solution I guarantee would result in satisfaction for you on many fronts would simply be to start using Goex 3F blackpowder.
You'll think you've died and gone to heaven compared to using substitutes....fast, clean, and accurate...you'll love it...and its the real deal.

:thumbsup:

This from the Hodgdon site:
Triple Seven is a high energy product designed to provide the muzzleloading hunter with higher velocities when used in the same VOLUME as blackpowder. To duplicate a blackpowder load velocity using Triple Seven, you must decrease the powder charge by 15%.

Go to cva's website. They have online manuals in pdf format. Their sidelock manual lists a max charge of 100gr FFg with a conical bullet in a .50 caliber. Since 777 is substantially hotter than BP you're exceeding the manufacturers recommendation.

100gr 2f black powder or pyrodex is max load. 80-85gr t7 is equal to 100gr rs or blackpowder 2f.

You max conical weight is 400 grains.

How do those maxi's shoot in the hawken?

Back