• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

To screw or not to screw that is the question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dobson

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Well now that i have your attention. Should i screw on the underbarrel rib or should i solder it onto the new hawken 58 i am currently building. The last one i screwed and its ok i just feel solder would be a more permanent job and also reduce the likelyhood of water / rust between the rib and barrel. On the other hand could the heating of the barrel warp it? Its a green mountain if that makes any odds.
Your thoughts please gentlemen.
Regards
Dobson

Most original rifles had soldered ribs, that's what I've always done myself. There really isn't much chance of warping the barrel as you don't really heat it up enough, especially if you're using a low-temp silver solder. Just a propane torch is enough to get the barrel hot enough to melt the solder, I'd say solder away!

I'm no expert by any means but retain nearly everything I read(Yep I got a trivial mind).
TOW reccomends screws.
Many solder and Don Stith who is something of an expert on Hawken type rifles(and offers some of the best Hawken Kits by that I mean historically correct) insists that most originals were rivited on.
If your confident in your ability to drill and tap holes, screws or rivits should work fine.
As I understand the riviting process, studs are threaded into the blind holes, the rib is put over the studs and then riveted on.

I see in your thread below, your having Don do the Rib. No Sweat he will do it right.

Back