• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Today's Score: .20ga Virginia=One / Squirrels=Zero

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Took the .20ga Flintlock for a walk late this afternoon...saw 3-4 squirrels but those sharp eyed devils are hard to stalk within smoothbore range, walking on corn flakes, wearing an orange cap !!

BUT...around 4:45 as the light was starting to fade, I managed to get within 30 yards of this one before he saw me...he scooted up a tree trunk then stopped on a limb, perched in that classic pose a squirrel makes sitting with his butt against the tree trunk.

“The Settler” sent some chilled #5s his way and he dropped like a stone...what an enjoyable couple of hours...going again tomorrow afternoon!

11191062calNo5shot-Squirrelcropped.jpg

Hope you get some more!Nothing like a day in the woods after them bushy tails. :thumbsup:

Yeah, great piece of wood...no engraving, no inlays, no patchbox...just super premium ++ curley maple.
Matt & Toni Avance at TVM picked it out for me...I've asked for another one just like it or better for the .45cal/.54cal they have in the queue.

Been selling off a lifetime accumulation of all sorts of centerfire rifles, shotguns, handguns, etc...converting all that into just a few long guns for retirement

:thumbsup: Nice,Nice,Nice.Been think the same thing about trimming the herd and getting BP Guns only.Hardly ever use the moderns anymore anyway.Griz

ny griz said:
:thumbsup: Nice,Nice,Nice.Been think the same thing about trimming the herd and getting BP Guns only.Hardly ever use the moderns anymore anyway
That's where it was at for me in the '90s...had hunted all my life with all sorts of C/F rifles, shotguns, etc...then got into caplocks and rarely used the C/Fs any more...then 10 years ago now I went 100% exclusively Flintlocks for all hunting and shooting year round, so my entire accumulation of guns just laid oiled in their cases, waiting to be stolen, burned up in a house fire, etc...a lot of money tied up for years in something I no longer used at all and knew I never would.
So with some "tough love" I flipped all those assets over into a few nice Flintlocks and couldn't be more satisfied with the decision.

I was planning to go out for squirrels this morning, but with the son gone to a "Model UN" thing (don't know what happened to his priorities), I went back to bed.

After seeing this I'm wishing I hadn't. :grin:

I agree with the others, that's a very pretty smoothrifle.

:hatsoff:
Spot

I normally prefer mornings...better light longer, etc...but its also a lot colder and have to get up early to get to the hunting area at the right time, etc.
The afternoon window for squirrels is shorter at just a couple hours it seems...but it lets you get a good nights sleep, and instead of below freezing temps, it's mid 50s-60s (here)...don't need all the bulky heavy clothes, etc...so I guess I'll stay with afternoons for squirrels the next week or so.

Plus, there's the added incentive that Deer usually start moving just before dark, and I have 2 Doe tags left. I just put together a little pocket kit of 3 patches, 3 balls, and 3 tiny vials of 30grns 2F to have with me...I'll try the squirrels for an hour or so then for the last hour of light I'll pull the shot load, bump up the powder charge, seat the PRB and sit for Deer since I'm already there.
If I get lucky that needy family will take all the Does I can deliver.

Beautiful gun & pics.
Roundball, I've been reading some of your back post with more than passing interest.
Still in debt eradication mode here, but gonna try assembling my smoothie in late Spring.
Searching the posts doesn't give a person with rifled history much info on the bennies of choking, jug chokes & their use with mixed loads. Say I want a gun for long range jackrabbit & waterfowl, what choke will also allow me to use roundball for medium/large game? Is there such a gun? Or can you ruin a choke blastin' balls thru it? I don't know.
Wish you smarter types would make a thread about that, or point me in the proper search direction.
Lex

wy0mn said:
Beautiful gun & pics.
Roundball, I've been reading some of your back post with more than passing interest.
Still in debt eradication mode here, but gonna try assembling my smoothie in late Spring.
Searching the posts doesn't give a person with rifled history much info on the bennies of choking, jug chokes & their use with mixed loads. Say I want a gun for long range jackrabbit & waterfowl, what choke will also allow me to use roundball for medium/large game? Is there such a gun? Or can you ruin a choke blastin' balls thru it? I don't know.
Wish you smarter types would make a thread about that, or point me in the proper search direction.
Lex

I had Caywood Guns install their 'Full' Jug Choke in the Rice .62cal smoothbore barrel on that Virginia and it's outstanding both with shot loads as well as PRBs.
PRB is less than 3" at 50yds from a seated hunting position (not a bench).

Given that I don't use modern plastic shot cups I went with the Full choke for small targets lke turkey heads, squirrels, etc.
If you're going to be doing a lot of duck / goose hunting over decoys you may well find a modified choke is fine...but don't personally know.

Back