• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Toeplate thoughts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Granville

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Good morning. What are some thoughts on installing a Toeplate on a SMR? Seems that I should inlet it first? Then fit the buttplate? Or am I thinking backwards? Thanks.

I’ve always done the butt plate first. Thinking about it now I think it would be hard to inlet the wood and metal at the same time.
I agree with Phil. Once your buttplate is inlet, work on the toeplate to fit it to the buttplate. If you mess up the toeplate in the process it's easier to make a new toeplate than to start over on the buttplate!

I appreciate the input guys, Burt plate it is. Then I’m thinking I’ll inlet the toe plate a little long and file to fit even with the end of the stock/ Buttplate. I’ll try an post a picture when I’m through!

I practiced installing a toe plate on my full stock Hawken first. I made the plate out of an old electrical panel box door, from the plant that I work at. I’m pretty happy with it, though I’m going to need something better then an exacto knife to do inlets. Maybe a small chisel would work. Now clean up the screws and brown to match, and clean we’re I hit the stock some!

Attachments

• F6C63D4C-3FA0-40C5-8E7B-90BCCF82B473.jpeg
    F6C63D4C-3FA0-40C5-8E7B-90BCCF82B473.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 9B28A739-9ADE-477C-96ED-43B913BD2DBA.jpeg
    9B28A739-9ADE-477C-96ED-43B913BD2DBA.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 62
  • B34E13F2-E2C6-4836-8C33-CEAD1F920B53.jpeg
    B34E13F2-E2C6-4836-8C33-CEAD1F920B53.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 6FC83A94-2A66-4E2F-8BE7-B8A256DD2762.jpeg
    6FC83A94-2A66-4E2F-8BE7-B8A256DD2762.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 61
Seems like it would prevent a chipped stock of dropped? I like Iron mounted guns without carving etc. The toe plate can be a nice way to put something on a rifle that’s clean looking and not gaudy. I hope I never drop it to find out if it helps.

Built 2 Hawkens and both had 1/8" thick toeplates which had a sling swivel riveted on. The toeplate was attached w/ 3 screws/ All my Bucks County LRs have a toeplate that pushes a rod that opens the Pbox lid.....Fred

The coolest toe plate I've ever encountered was on a plain mountain rifle , was a large square cut nail , driven in on an angle. The rifle was one with no butt plate , and an additional large cut nail , at the top end of the plateless butt. That's what ya call a basic style. I'm still laughing about it. I don't have enough fortitude to break tradition , and do that to a plain rifle. Guess I'm going to have to build an ugly Cheat River W. Va. rifle , delete the sheet iron curved piece , and treat the butt with square cut nails , top and bottom. Cut the nails off to about 1" length pre-drill and epoxie the nail heads in place. Oh well, another item for in the bucket list.

Is there a true purpose for the toeplate?
All it takes is fitting one butt plate to know that the toe is the weakest part of any stock and the easiest to chip off, especially if your stock wood is Maple.

That part of the stock almost always contacts the ground when a long rifle is loaded, with only the tallest of tall men able to load a long rifle resting the butt on the toe of a boot. The toe plate is just more added protection that the wood doesn't get chewed to pieces by whatever gravel and stones the butt is set in.

At least that's why I think toe plates and butt plates are important.....

I built a poor boy with a toeplate and a piece of antler at the top of the butt. Got protection without the hassle of inletting a buttplate.

I did not finish the stock, I bought the rifle. Jackie Brown made the rifle it’s beautiful.

Latest posts

Back