• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tomahawk advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LocDoc

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm looking for input on a new Hawk. I think I've graduated from my el cheapo Cabelas version to something of a bit better quality. I use the Hawk for camping and building ground blinds while hunting, so weight is a factor. But I really want good steel that will take and hold an edge. I was almost sold on the Cold Steel Rifleman Hawk, but I read something about 'set screws'. A good Hawk shouldn't need a set screw! Also one more thing, this Hawk is to someday become an heirloom for my grandson, so I want a good Hawk to pass along with my other gear.
Thanks guys and gals!

TOTW has some nice Hawks..
American made :thumbsup: and cheap.
Don't buy a foreign made one.
I bought the English french and Indian
totw

That appears to be a workhorse of a hawk & a good camp companion. First thing I would do is take that barber pole finish off the handle, as it diminishes the over all looks of the hawk.(IMHO) But it has a fine looking forged head on it.......

:thumbsup:

Depending on your price range you could try Beaver Bill {www.beaverbill.com}. I think they start at $40.00 and can go way up.I almost got one at Dixon's but it was gone when I got back.

I bought two of his throwing hawks for my boys ? 10 yrs ago I guess. Man they had a blast with them. Good thing I bought 6 spare handles too as I was gluing & wrapping handles every night for a month ! :grin: I would glue & wrap them til they came to pieces & then put a new handle in them.
:thumbsup:

Check out Fort Turner, www.fortturner.com , Their hand forged tomahawks are Great quality and value. The Camp tomahawk would fit perfect for your needs. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Shrew Hawk from the Link above Is a Very Nice Hawk I got It on my "To Get List ! But the Fort Turner Hawk's are also Very Well Made Heirloon Quality Hawk's ! Here's a picture of my Trapper Hawk Hammer Poll from Dana at Fort Turner Forge, It's the Perfect Camp Hawk 15 1/8" Handle, 5 1/4" From Hammer to the 3 1/8" Very Sharp Cutting Edge,
This Is one of my Favorite Hawk's for Camping and on the Trapline, This Is my Trapper Hawk with some of my Favorite David Farmer Custom Knive's,

34pj6yo.jpg

Fort Turner Trapper with my Favorite Powder Horn and a Great River Forge Steel Fire Stiker & Flint's,

24weczk.jpg

One more picture of the Trapper Hawk with my Favorite Camp Knife a Work of Blade Art from David Farmer the Side Arm,

11gmtyu.jpg

These TomaHawk's were Forged by Keith Johnson of Great River Forge they are a Great Buy ! American Made Hammer Forged, From left to right Is the Large American Throwing Hawk, Camp Hawk Hammer Poll Hawk/Hatchet, And the two on the right are one of my Favorite TomaHawk Style's the Large French Style Throwing Hawk, These Hawk's will last Forever If taken care of and you can get the French and American Thrower's for 40.00 Buck's plus Shipping,I really like the Long Beard On the French Style Throwing Hawk's,

155gkeh.jpg

Here's a close up of the Large French Throwing Hawk's Cutting Edge Is 4 1/2" on the left one and 4 1/8" on the one on the right,

yne37.jpg

Here's a close up of the Large American Style Thrower on the Left Cutting Edge 4" Just the right size for Rendezvous Competion Hawk Throwing, And the Hammer Poll Camp Hawk this one Is an Excellent Chopper with a Cutting Edge of 3 3/16" also a Great Throwing Hawk,

ims852.jpg

Here's Keith's Web-Site Check out his Work/Gallery he does some Fine Work on Hawk's and Knive's,

Thanks for all the replies (and Pics)
I think I'll go with the Fort Turner Trapper.
So many Hawks....so little time.

LocDoc said:
Thanks for all the replies (and Pics)
I think I'll go with the Fort Turner Trapper.
So many Hawks....so little time.

That's a Great choice In Hawk's, If you want something a little bigger Fort Tuner make's the Camp Hawk, It's the same design as the Trapper just a little Bigger, But I find the Trapper much easyer to carry In the Wood's on a Belt Sheath, Any Hawk from Fort Turner Is a Good Buy and will last you a Lifetime, Take Care And Good Luck In finding the right Hawk !

Sometimes you get lucky and find a rare gem on fleabay. Just to give you an example, and not trying to hog this conversation, this hawk was hand forged by a gentleman and sold on fleabay by his ex-brother-in-law. :shocked2:

I have an awesome hawk being given to me by a VERY good friend, but I also wanted a war hawk as well. (WHY, I have no idea) This fits the bill pretty nicely I think.

Hawk1.jpg

hawk2.jpg

hawk4.jpg

hawk3.jpg

BTW, if any of you guys recognize the style, or the hawk itself, lemmee know. I know it was made for the "Feast of the Hunters Moon" in Indiana. The makers initial's "J Z" is stamped on it.

Latest posts

Back