• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tomahawk Handle length

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
Is there an ideal length for a tomahawk's handle?

I'm thinking somewhere on the lines of 2 times the length of the tomahawk's head...

Or, is it the length of your forearm?

Musketman-
I keep seein 19' expressed as 'typical' or 'desireable', tho I spect its more a matter of use and personal preference.
.....Longshot

I vote for personal preferance... nothing worse for me then a hawk handle that is to short... :results:

Most guys I know cut the handles off at the length from the inside of yer elbow to the tip of yer longest finger to start with. Then if they need to trim it a bit more they will, but that gives a good starting point

17 to 19 inches is what I was told.
Putting your finger under the head and balancing it. By cutting off a tad bit at a time will make it spin well.

I did this once a long time ago. The handle was short. It spun nice. I never could stick it. The density of the wood will matter.

Most people I run across use the inside of your elbow to fingertips to get handle length. I also know some guys that do "trick throwing" who shorten their handles alot. Handle length has an effect on amount of "flips" in a given distance. Elbow to fingertips gives me one flip in 12 feet releasing naturally which is what I want for throwing at voos. I can fine tune by extending my thumb or forefinger on the handle to adjust rotation. Too short a handle, I'd have to move back and throw 1 1/2 or 2 flips. Too long a handle, I'd have to try to choke up but I don't like throwing like that. Good luck!

MusketMan,

I throw it at various grip points til I find one that seems best and then trim less than that amount to be sure. I try again and then trim for final effect.

No particular measure, just looking for the result.

YMHS,
CrackStock

I have several friends that are professional throwers and they say from the bottom knuckles to the crook of the elbow.
Mine is approximately 13 inches. If you also throw a knife it should be of approximately the same lenght and weight of your hawk. I throw in competition and we throw 1 ,1 1/2 & 2 turns with the hawk & 1 & 2 turns with the knife. You can get consistent sticks if they are both about the same lenght and weight and you can usually throw your hawk & knife from the same spot. It takes practice. If you can get cottonwood blocks they work the best for targets. :results:
TMA Charter member #21

If you have A short handle you can stand closer to the blocks, also on walks you can get through squares of wood set ahead of the blocks. Been throwing for years got mine at 13 1/2 inches. Bigger isn't always better.
Nit Wit :p

jr-
No wonder you boys is such good shots; ya don't miss a '. Does this mean I gotta cut 119" off my handle?
....Longshot

How do you throw 1 1/2 turns with a hawk? I know I can be pretty dense a times, but I can't picture it. Thanks

Hank

How do you throw 1 1/2 turns with a hawk? I know I can be pretty dense a times, but I can't picture it. Thanks

Hank

I guess it could be done, it would have to be thrown with the blade aiming to the rear and then stuck in the target with the handle pointing up...

112throwimagesrevised.jpg

Man that was clever.
Hawk handle lengths should be determined by head weight and intended use. Guess you are asking about throwing hawks. But tomahawks and axes for other purposes will vary widely.

Hank
You throw at 1 1/2 turns with the hawk head facing to the rear and the distance is approx 1/2 more than from where you throw at 1 turn. For example if you throw 1 turn from 5 paces then you throw 1 1/2 turns from 7 1/2 paces. Make sure that the hawk head is facing to the rear. It doesn't seem natural but with a little practice you will be able to stick. When you master 1 1/2 turns then you can move to 2 turns. Goodluck :thumbsup: :results:

But tomahawks and axes for other purposes will vary widely.

I go with that. For chopping and cores, the light head of a tomahawk needs the leverage of a long handle. Mine are all the length they came, and I fit the handle to the eye so that it snugs up to the last 1/2".

Somewhere I read that, for throwing, the handle should be the distance of your elbow to outer knuckles when making a fist. For me, that just works out to the handle length the small hawk I do throw when I throw is. Maybe that's why I choose that one?

I'm still of the mind that throwing a knife or hawk is abusing the tool and disarming yourself.

But I'm pretty good with an egg sized rock.

Latest posts

Back