• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Took a while to happen...................

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hhughh

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I built a Southern Mtn style rifle from parts gathered at Dixie Gun Works about ten years ago, and have taken it from time to time during our ML season. (Kept waiting for a chance at doe, as ML season is either sex.) But now our regs have changed, and there are no "doe days" during the mo**rn gun season, just a quota on does you can kill all year, so I started taking this gun every day, as the odds were so much better of finally getting her bloody.

This morning it happened. I was on a slow stalk, and had jumped deer a couple of times and had them get away before I could get a good shot.

I eventually got close to this doe, which blew at me from a good distance, and I spotted her as she began easing through the timber. I later stepped it off at ninety-three steps. The .50 PRB broke one rib as it entered, and went between two ribs on the other side as it exited. I didn't see her go down, simply reloaded and waited. Went to where I had shot her, and found blood a slight distance away. She had gone about thirty steps, and was dead in an old deadfall of tree limbs. Definitely a believer in PRB now. She was leaving a LOT of blood before she went down; easy tracking.

I built a Chambers fowler during the summer, and been packing it as well, so this makes squirrels, ducks, and a deer I've taken with Flintlocks this season.

Take care,

Hugh

Way to go :thumbsup: Can't wait 'til I can go (next weekend). Taking the .45 southern rifle and a couple of doe tags.....will have to post outcome later :wink:

Congratulations Hugh! Excellent to get a flintlock deer, but even sweeter to do it with a gun you built. :hatsoff:

Thanks for the kind thoughts guys. Looking back at the gun, I've learned lots since then. But still packing a grin that ain't going away. There were several things about yesterday. The first deer with the rifle, but also the first I ever had to "track" any distance. It wasn't as difficult as it could have been, of course, but it was still a situation of finding sign of a deer that was out of sight, and finding her.
The most ironic thing of it all---just a sign of a higher power, I believe---is that I called my ex to tell my son about it before he caught the school bus, but he was feeling a little puny and had to stay home from school. (Yes, he was already staying home before I called.) So he was able to come over and see Dad's deer for a little while and the gun he calls "Ole Betsy". Neat day all the way around.

Hugh

Back