• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tools needed for a home shop

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ppanepinto

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I’m getting ready to build a small shop so that I can work on rifle builds and other things. I was hoping to talk with ya’ll about some of the tools and machines needed. I’m thinking about getting a 3-1 lath, drill, and mill combo, and I need all of the wood working tools for stocks. Can ya’ll point me in the right direction? Books, websites, brands, tool list, anything will be helpful

I built rifles from blanks on a Black and Decker workmate vise on the floor of an apartment with nothing but hand tools in the 1970's. I suggest you build some and buy what you need as you go along. Lathes and milling machines are not needed for normal builds as most barrels come breeched nowadays. Most would want a bandsaw and good drill press and a good workbench, vises and lighting.

I don't think that accumulating all the tools needed is the best approach. Hands on experience will teach you what you need.

Lathes and mills are nice to have (maybe really nice depending on what you mean by "other things") but as has been said they aren't really all that necessary. In any event you would be wise to steer clear of the 3 way machines. Though some are reasonably good quality, all suffer from the same problems. Namely you have to break your setup to switch from one process to the other and this becomes very inconvenient after awhile.

If you really want the machine tools than I would suggest starting with a good lathe. With this you can turn, bore, thread, and even mill parts. Later you can get a mill when you have the need. Keep in mind that just getting the machines is only your first expense, once you have them you will know what spending money really means as you start buying tooling for them. This is a hobby in and of itself.

I work on modern guns, I build small and large scale models, and I also would like to be able to breech barrels. I know most come breeched, but I would like to be able to save parts of the barrels I shorten. As for the hand tools, I do not have any right now, and would like to know the ones I would need to start.

Alexander hit it right on the head about the 3 in 1 machines. I have one and it can be a real pain having to re-tool. It was all I could afford at the time (can't even afford it now) and is a cheap but stoutly made Harbor Freight machine. But it's ideal for making jags, finishing ramords, &c. and I have made lock parts and a complete lock with its help. But if you want to do any barrel work, you're restricted to pistol barrels or very small diameter rifle barrels. Also, most have a limited speed range and it's generally too fast. The dials on the cheaper machines are also in metric and excessive backlash is often a problem. I don't know what kind of capital you have to work with or the shop space planned, but I would invest in a good full sized lathe with at least 1-1/2" spindle opening and as many speed settings as possible. Also the capability to cut threads. If you plan on doing barrel work try to get a large enough lathe to be able to turn the entire length without re-setting the barrel to finish the cut. You can get tooling that will allow you to mill with a lathe. With either, the important thing is to get something built heavy enough to do whatever job you need to do without shaking and chattering.

Now, unless you plan on making all your parts and need the above as well as a forge and anvil (plus hand tools) and a casting set-up, all you really need is some good quality wood chisels, screwdrivers and files. A good drawknife can be handy to have. The most used tool I have for stock work is a four-in-hand file. For cutting a barrel channel a router is mighty handy if you don't want to chisel and scrape. By the way, some scrapers would be handy to have. A Dremel tool with variable speed is great to have but you really have to be careful with it. Sanding drums, diamond bits, various shaped cutters can all be used to get into very tight places such as in the lock mortise. But like I said, be very careful, one wrong move can ruin days of work. Stay in control of it and think ahead. Don't ask me how I know. And of course a hand drill and a drill press with numbered bits as well as the fractional ones. When you tap a hole, most of the time you'll use a number bit to drill. And lots of assorted grit sandpaper. Don't forget to light your work area as well as possible. You'd be surprised at what the little shadows hide. You may think that you are cutting on one side of a line until your piece is seen in a better light afterward and you find that you cut on the other side.

I know I've left out a lot, but I've rambled on enough this time around. Good luck!

Gee this is a good question. I know people who build fine guns with a few hand tools and a lot of skill. But I use a complete furniture building shop for the wood. And a metal lathe, bridgeport mill, surface grinder, knife grinder, etc for the metal work.Do I need all of these tools? No! But I have them for my business so I use them for my hobby! :idunno: :idunno:

There is no sin in loving tools and wanting lots of them, unless of course you abuse them.

The one thing worth remembering though is that while most 18th and 19th century arms were not exactly produced with crude tooling, they were still largely hand crafted. You can still do a lot of things by hand that are difficult, to recreate by machines today.

Nothing is impossible but the real high end machining available today that can approach this level of craftsmanship requires extensive training, expensive machine tools and software to make it happen. The average Joe working in a garage shop with a Bridgeport mill and a Southbend lathe can do some neat things, but he isn't exactly going to be replacing handwork altogether.

Back