• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

totally new to this

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mathews4ever

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I am going to purchase a .50 cal percussion muzzleoader tomorrow and I have no idea what I need to buy to make it suitable for deer hunting to about 75-100 yards. I do know I will be shooting 777 powder and patched round ball/pre-lubed patches. I have no idea whether to use FFg or FFFg, and I do not know what kind of tools I will need to purchase. I have experience with inline muzzleloaders but want something more traditional. Inlines are to much like shooting centerfire rifles. Any help would be just great.

Your gun will ultimately decide which powder it likes best, but I'm betting on the 3f based on my own guns. My 50's are right in there with my 32, 36, 54 and 58 calibers in liking it. My own 50 is sighted in dead on at 75 yards with 80 grains of 3f (it's prefered load) and it strikes 2-3 inches low at 100 yards while only being an inch or so high at 50 yards.

Tools you'll need include a powder measure, something to carry your powder in (flask or horn), capper, and probably a short starter. A nipple wrench and pick will also be needed for cleaning, along with a cleaning jag and patches.

Glad to hear that you're giving a traditional gun a try. You'll find it a whole lot more versatile and fun to shoot than your inline. For off-season use, try 30-35 grains of your 3f under a patched ball for head-shooting small game. Talk about great field pratice with your deer rifle!

mathews4ever said:
Thanks for the info. Any other advise would be greatly appreciated.

Do your self a favor..buy or borrow a can of each, work up your best load based on grouping at 25 yards. THEN buy a stash of your best preformer.
My buddy and I each bought new T/C Renegades at the same time I went for the Pyrodex FFG and he went for the 777 FFFG. Both preform quit well.
His seems to group a little better only really noticeable at 100 yards (He IS a better shot then I on stationary targets) My choice is a LOT cheaper...... :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Back